What is a good weight for a dragon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

warhawk

My wife got to reading about her dragon over the weekend and it got us to talking about what is a good weight for our dragons. We we a lot of people that say dragons should be 400-500 grams but hers isn't that big.

My wife's dragon is about 2 years old, he is on the small side but not because he doesn't eat he is just a smaller dragon(as far as I can tell anyway) He is 16" from nose to tail tip, 8.5"-9" from nose to base of the tail. Every day he gets fresh veggies and twice a week he gets crickets or worms. We do the dusting of calcium every time. He eats about 95% of the veggies every day and all the worms or crickets. We give him enough until he stops eating and walks away. I will have to say I don't weigh him as much as I should we just keep a eye on him and if starts to look thinner we will check him but mostly just offer more food. I'm going to change my routine so I weight him every other week like my other reptiles.

I weighted him over the weekend and he is 364 grams. Sorry I don't have a photo of him lately but around the base of the tail and his rear legs you can see the fat rolls so he looks like a good. If he was a few inches longer it would add a lot more weight.

What do you think is a good weight for a dragon?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there....that weight for a 16" dragon is fine. :) At 16" he could be a bit lighter and still be healthy, but if he were 400 or more it would be getting into the overweight range. His diet sounds excellent as well, so no worry there. You're right that some dragons are smaller, just like people. :) Asian people are generally shorter + thinner than other groups but are very healthy + long lived. Being 6'5 and 220 doesn't make a person healthier than a person that is 5'5 and 120.

warhawk

Original Poster
Thanks for the info glad to know I'm not crazy, well on this anyway.

He is 364 grams and yes if he was up around 400 I would bet he would look pretty fat. Just seeing the weight I think he is going to be kinda skinny but when you add the length it does fit him well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cr0w
Top Bottom