What do you think of these enclosures?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JenFid

Sub-Adult Member
I've had my eye on these Penn Plax custom vivariums for quite awhile, but the cost of shipping has been the main reason I actually haven't bought one. I just sent them a message asking if they carry these at their retail stores or if not if I can use my own shipping account (mom lives in San Diego, dad works for fedex!) I know I could build my own for cheaper but this would actually be a birthday present (so no $$ of my own)

Do anyone own or know someone who's purchased one of these and can attest to their quality at all?

edit - forgot the link! http://lllreptile.com/store/catalog/reptile-supplies/reptile-cages-and-vivariums/penn-plax-custom-vivariums/-/penn-plax-vivarium-home-unit-5/

JenFid

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Oh I know, that's why I'm seeing if it's possible to ship it myself, or have my mom pick it up direct from the store and send it to me. I actually found the same tank on Amazon for $193, but the shipping is $189 compared to $150, so the total cost difference only comes to about $20, but if I can get the shipping down that would solve most cost problems. I'm mostly interested if they are quality enclosures though.

Jess

Extreme Poster
Check Craigslist. :D I got a 4x2x2 viv with slidering glass doors for $90. It needed a little fixing up, but even with new light fixtures and caulk it still ended up being less that $120 total.

JenFid

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Oh I have been! The only one I've seen so far was down in Rochester though and it came with a beardie, heh.

Jess

Extreme Poster
Oh, I didn't see that you were in MN!

Go to Twin Cities Reptiles (In St. Paul). They have a lot of used custom cages for a decent price. I called them when I was looking for one. Most of the cages they get are the lower kind for snakes, but I've seen some display-case like ones that were really nice.

Oh, and here:
http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/dak/fuo/2323970808.html
That's the most recent one I could find. :) You could try posting a "Wanted" add, that's how I got mine.

JenFid

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Ah TC Reptiles is where I got Sartharion! Haha. We were there about a month ago and I did actually ask about the tanks, but they didn't have much at the time, either really huge display cases or stackable ones. There is a Vietnamese place my husband likes to eat a little further south on University so we're over there at least twice a month. I am tempted to make my own but I'm just so horrible at building things :(
A wanted ad on CL was my next step though. That one you linked is decent but I'm looking for one with a sliding front. I'm keeping my eyes open though! The Penn Plax ones are just so pretty :shock: lol

Jess

Extreme Poster
Oh, awesome!
Yeah, it kinda depends on what they get in I guess. I've seen some nice ones there before. Lucky you, my mom HATES driving in the cities so I don't get to go there very often! Leaping Lizards in Burnsville (This is the reptile store I go to all the time LOL... I adopted Dud there!) will have used cages once in a while too, but I haven't seen any huge ones there before. My viv was originally bought there for $250, but IDK if they sell them anymore.
I actually got a lot of responses for my wanted add, but it was a while before someone had one with the right dimensions. Apparently there are a LOT of people with large unwanted reptile cages laying around in their garage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J.sobrero
Top Bottom