what do i need ?????

Status
Not open for further replies.

carter46

ive just brought a viv off a friend of mine huw used to have a snake hes left if bear for me apart from a bulb fitting im wanting a pet beardy. What do i go about doing next

Do i need to have a heat mat if so dose it need 2 cover the whole thing ??

Ive heard people mention uv lights is that inportant ??

what flooring shud i have ??

please help

Jiffy

BD.org Addict
Hi.
Heat mats are not recommended because beardies cant sense heat from underneath, so they could potentially burn themselves.
UV bulbs are a must. Do not get a compact bulb. If you get a florescent tube, the Reptisun 10 is the best. Then the Reptiglo 8.
The Reptiglo 10's are bad and will hurt the beardies eyes. (so can some of the compact bulbs)
Also, mercury vapor bulbs are supposed to be really good, but I have never used them, so I really cant advise.

As far as flooring (substrate) some people use paper towels, slate tile, reptile carpet or non adhesive shelf liner.
It is best not to use any particle substrate (calci-sand, etc), but some people do use sifted childrens play sand on adult beardies.

There are some excellent care sheets on this site, and they may help give you a lot more info.

Jiffy

BD.org Addict
Initial set-up is expensive.
If you order the stuff online, it is cheaper. For instance, the reptisun 10 is about $50 or more in the store, and can be bought online for around $20.

You will need the uvb bulb.
You will need a basking bulb (you do not have to buy an expensive basking bulb, a normal household bulb will work) you just need to make sure to check the temps and adjust the wattage of the bulb as needed. Here is a link to the caresheets that will tell about the temps and such . http://www.beardeddragon.org/articles/caresheet/?page=2
You will need a digital thermometer with a probe, or a temp gun.
You will need calcium and vitamin dust.

The beardie will need fresh veggies every day. If you get a baby, they eat lots of live feeders a day, and it gets rather expensive. They can eat anywhere from 30 to 100 crickets a day. You can order 1000 on line for $25 or so. That should last a week and a half or 2 days. Once they get to be adults, they do not need as many live feeders. It is generally recommended around 35 per week (depending on if you are feeding worms or crickets or what).

Here is a link of good veggies to use. The list is color coded as to what is good to feed and what not to feed.
http://www.beautifuldragons.503xtreme.com/Nutrition.html

That is just a little more info for now. Let us know if you have more questions.

carter46

Original Poster
is there any type of woods you could recomend for in side the viv

and thank you this info is very helpfull

Jiffy

BD.org Addict
I dont really know about the different types of wood to use. Maybe someone else will come along and have the info to that.

Ethelia

Extreme Poster
Hello there,
From what I understand it doesnt matter what kind of wood/slates/rocks/bricks you put in your viv as long as its been disinfected.
Wash whatever you intend to put inside your viv (even if store-bought) with a 10% bleach solution. If you really dont want to use bleach you can use vinegar and hot water (remember to wash until there is no smell for bleach or vinager) Then bake it in the oven on 200 for 5-10 minutes.
This should make sure all the germs are destroyed.

In regards to wood specifically bogwood is the best in my opinion, as it is smooth but easy to climb.
Id avoid split logs because they could splinter and cut your beardie. Id go with a general rule that if you can push your palm and run your hand along the surface without it hitting something sharp or splintery then it will be ok for your beardie.

Hope this helped x

carter46

Original Poster
thanks thats helpfull i didnt no you could bake things to kill germs

another question though i have brought a big viv 3x2x2 but in the care sheets ive read it says only a small viv for a baby beardie dose this realy matter ?

Ethelia

Extreme Poster
Hi there,
Well yes and no. Best thing to do is to just block off a bit of the viv with cardboard or something else until she grows a little.

Driftwood is good for beardies, especialy babies.
Also make sure you get a good wattage heat bulb, because they hottest part (basking spot) for babies needs to be around 100-110F
Also crickets cost approx £3 a week plus you have to buy supplement to put on the crickets, e.g rep-cal, this is vital for growth
Quite difficult to look after Eh ?
Hope this helped abit

carter46

Original Poster
yh sounds a bit tricky but ill sure ill get the hang off it. im makin sure i get evry bit off info i can be for i start

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lunalane827
Top Bottom