What do I do???

doommig

Original Poster
So my beardie has been like this since May. She's always cooped up in her cave every day, and if I let her I'm sure she would stay there if I never took her out physically and eat . also she is eating much LESS. I went to the vet to figure out these odd behaviors and it turns out she had parasites and was impacted. Both of which are solved now and shouldn't be a problem. But why is she still hiding??? I don't know why. I've been taking her outside to get natural sunlight for maximize uvb so she won't get mbd. The vet told me if she keeps up with this behavior that I should go back and they will do blood work. So what should I do???
40 gallon tank
Basking temp: 101 degrees UVB TYPE : reptisun 10.0 tube with reflector. About 8-9 inches away from basking spot on top of fine mesh. So she is getting to Bask and uvb at the same time.
Gradients: hot side- 83 degrees cool side- 80 degrees.
Humidity 55
Bearded dragon length: 12 inches and is 7 months old
On a side note is her basking branch too small for her now? Is it too hard for her to get to?

Attachments

• PXL_20220713_135847189.jpg
    PXL_20220713_135847189.jpg
    266.7 KB · Views: 123
  • PXL_20220712_163058239.jpg
    PXL_20220712_163058239.jpg
    233.9 KB · Views: 91

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Maybe bump up the ambiemt temps. so the warmer side is 90-100 [ 100 at the basking spot ] , cooler side around 80. She looks very healthy + is a pretty dragon. She looks bigger than 12", did you measure her ?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
So my beardie has been like this since May. She's always cooped up in her cave every day, and if I let her I'm sure she would stay there if I never took her out physically and eat . also she is eating much LESS. I went to the vet to figure out these odd behaviors and it turns out she had parasites and was impacted. Both of which are solved now and shouldn't be a problem. But why is she still hiding??? I don't know why. I've been taking her outside to get natural sunlight for maximize uvb so she won't get mbd. The vet told me if she keeps up with this behavior that I should go back and they will do blood work. So what should I do???
40 gallon tank
Basking temp: 101 degrees UVB TYPE : reptisun 10.0 tube with reflector. About 8-9 inches away from basking spot on top of fine mesh. So she is getting to Bask and uvb at the same time.
Gradients: hot side- 83 degrees cool side- 80 degrees.
Humidity 55
Bearded dragon length: 12 inches and is 7 months old
On a side note is her basking branch too small for her now? Is it too hard for her to get to?
What is the bulb your using for the UVB is it a T 5 or a T 8 - her hiding in the hide is a constant thing? NO basking at all ? Eating less is usually a sign of incorrect surface basking temps - those should be taken w/ a digital probe thermometer -- 95-100-- and or UVB --- we need to see about the placement and distance - this could be a cause for not basking - the basking bulb your using is a solid clear bright white bulb? No off white or yellowish bulbs and no daytime bulbs - those will cause eye issues --

doommig

Original Poster
Maybe bump up the ambiemt temps. so the warmer side is 90-100 [ 100 at the basking spot ] , cooler side around 80. She looks very healthy + is a pretty dragon. She looks bigger than 12", did you measure her ?
Tbh not in a long time but how would I bump up the ambient temps, any tips? While the basking spot to be 100 thank you.

doommig

Original Poster
What is the bulb your using for the UVB is it a T 5 or a T 8 - her hiding in the hide is a constant thing? NO basking at all ? Eating less is usually a sign of incorrect surface basking temps - those should be taken w/ a digital probe thermometer -- 95-100-- and or UVB --- we need to see about the placement and distance - this could be a cause for not basking - the basking bulb your using is a solid clear bright white bulb? No off white or yellowish bulbs and no daytime bulbs - those will cause eye issues --
It is t 5 and as for the basking bulb, how can I tell if it's a solid clear bright white bulb? Also I've measured it with a probe and it came out to around 100, and as for the distance, uvb tube is about 8-9 inches away from basking spot sitting on top of fine mesh. And yes her hiding is constant.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Tbh not in a long time but how would I bump up the ambient temps, any tips? While the basking spot to be 100 thank you.
She may have been hiding because she isn't feeling too well, then the vet visit is stressful. You can remove the cave and see how she does , she may become more active. To increase ambient temp. just use a slightly higher watt bulb. You can get incandescent bulbs at Walmart Lowe's or Home Depot.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
It is t 5 and as for the basking bulb, how can I tell if it's a solid clear bright white bulb? Also I've measured it with a probe and it came out to around 100, and as for the distance, uvb tube is about 8-9 inches away from basking spot sitting on top of fine mesh. And yes her hiding is constant.
Ok so something is going on w/ the lighting in the tank -- for a T 5 on fine mesh it should be in the tank directly above her 12-15 inches -- please adjust -- as far as the basking bulb examples for a clear bright white bulb are Flukers -- Exo Terra Intense -- Zoo Med Repti basking -- or Arcadia Halogens --

doommig

Original Poster
Ok so something is going on w/ the lighting in the tank -- for a T 5 on fine mesh it should be in the tank directly above her 12-15 inches -- please adjust -- as far as the basking bulb examples for a clear bright white bulb are Flukers -- Exo Terra Intense -- Zoo Med Repti basking -- or Arcadia Halogens --
I wanna say that it's zoo med I'm pretty sure so I think the light is ok.

doommig

Original Poster
She may have been hiding because she isn't feeling too well, then the vet visit is stressful. You can remove the cave and see how she does , she may become more active. To increase ambient temp. just use a slightly higher watt bulb. You can get incandescent bulbs at Walmart Lowe's or Home Depot.
Ok I'll do that but I may have to change my basking branch , because the higher the watt the hotter the basking spot will be since it's so high up.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I wanna say that it's zoo med I'm pretty sure so I think the light is ok.
Yes that is fine -- adjust the UVB and then watch her behavior - we need to start somewhere and like AHBD said it could be the stress from the vet visit etc -- how long has she been hiding ? Was it before the vet visit or after?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
It was before, that's why I took her.
Ok so its possible stress but since it was on going before I am gonna say its a lighting issue --- please adjust the UVB and we will go from there -- any other animals in the house? Is she sitting by a window so she can see birds ?

doommig

Original Poster
Ok so its possible stress but since it was on going before I am gonna say its a lighting issue --- please adjust the UVB and we will go from there -- any other animals in the house? Is she sitting by a window so she can see birds ?
There's a cat but I don't let her in when ciri is basking. No birds, no window to see them.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tlpowell718
Top Bottom