What do I do if I can't maintain the humidity?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unique

Hatchling Member
Our house is around like 35% humidity, and I can't keep the humidity over 60 with out misting alot and that won't work out, can I just provide a moist hide? Or one of those tubs with water in it and a hole on top?Or will I have to get new bedding? Currently using Aspen. Also I haven't put a water bowl in there yet because petmountain didn't have it in stock, and no I don't have the snake yet so don't worry. Couldn't a water bowl raise the humidity?

The water bowl may help the humidity a little bit. If you have a screen top you can help bring up humidity by covering half or more of the screen with Aluminum foil, just make sure to leave a little bit open to allow for breathing air. As for the moist hide, yes they do work. For a baby ball python you can use an index card file box and cut a hole in the top. Lay it on its side so the ball python can climb in and out of the hole with ease. Keep a layer of moist paper towels in the bottom of it. It is also best if you put one on the cool side and one on the hot side. If you have room use regular hides as well. Honestly though for a ball python if you can maintain 60% humidity it is all you really need other than when it goes into shed, then it helps to bump humidity up to around 70%. Also if you are using Aspen bedding and an under the tank heater make sure the temp at the glass surface of the tank does not go any higher than 94 degrees as that is kinda the high point for tolerance for a ball python with 90 degrees being a comfy temp. With 94 degrees on the glass the aspen on top the hot spot should be warm enough for the little one, but just incase he digs down to the glass the hottest thing he can contact is 94 degrees.

Unique

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Ok thanks. I didn't want to change the bedding since I have a bag and a half left of aspen. It's only a 10 gallon and I got like a rag covering most of the top.

herpfreak

Gray-bearded Member
Be careful with the rag; watch closely for mold or fungus growth. I've had damp cloths over the screen top that grow mold.

Gloryhound is right; moist hides and covering the top work great.

I'm with you; but it's 25% in my house! I have experimented with a bunch of things; covering the top helps a ton. I have also experimented with various substrates. When I tried "Eco Earth" (coconut fiber), the humidity wouldn't go below 80% for three days, and I took it out and threw it away for fear of scale rot. A very thin layer of Eco Earth on top of another substrate such as aspen or repti-bark might be beneficial, but I warn you against using Eco Earth as the only substrate. I am currently trying out repti-bark, which is much dryer than aspen and a bit better than aspen, but it is still pretty dry, even with a little bit of Eco Earth mixed in. I have yet to get cypress mulch, but I have heard wonders about it.

I find that during the dryer months in winter, I simply can't get the humidity up, no matter what I do, so I put the balls in plastic tubs with holes drilled in the sides. These work great for holding humidity.

Another idea for down the road is one of these Enclosures:
t-16232-63.jpeg

The image was taken from http://www.reptilebasics.com
Yea they are a little pricey at around $140.00, (I think that includes shipping) but after we got one of their larger enclosures for our bloods we won't go with any other manufacturer. They are awesome and hold humidity great. Also they have secure latches, so you don't have to worry about an accidental escape.

As for the tub idea you can't beat it. I actually have how to set one up and where to get everything in links on the tech page of my wife and I's web site as the Poor Boy/girl set up for ball pythons. Granted with our collection of snakes well over 50 right now we had to switch to racks to continue to grow the wifes breeding business. And we have our third clutch just starting to pip today so here comes another 8 babies!! :mrgreen:

If you have any questions about ball pythons now or in the future don't hesitate to call or E-mail us. If you don't have an unlimited long distance plan just send us an E-mail and we would be more than happy to call you and talk you through anything in person if it helps. We were all beginners at one time or another and had questions that needed answered. It is better to learn from someone elses mistakes instead of your own. (Now I know why my dad was always telling me I wish I would have done this or that different! :banghead: )

Unique

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
When the Ball get's older I'll prob just get it a big tub and prob not get a big aquarium.

lacy_black

Gray-bearded Member
Also if you're that worried about keeping the ball hydrated you could give bathes. All of my snakes, except the 2 red tails they have water bowls, get baths weekly. I've NEVER had a bad shed from any of my snakes plus it seems to get them more trusting of you and they enjoy the ability to really stretch out and swim.

herpfreak

Gray-bearded Member
lacy_black":693f8 said:
Also if you're that worried about keeping the ball hydrated you could give bathes. All of my snakes, except the 2 red tails they have water bowls, get baths weekly. I've NEVER had a bad shed from any of my snakes plus it seems to get them more trusting of you and they enjoy the ability to really stretch out and swim.
I totally agree. I used to only give baths when they were having stuck sheds, but recently we had a bout of snake mites here, so I bathed everybody daily, and it was so much fun, I'm going to continue to bathe them regularly! I expected my blood to put up a fight, but he actually loved the bath. :D Just make sure they're supervised closely! It only takes a few seconds for them to drown.

Sin21

It can be quite tricky to keep the humidity of an entire tank at 60% so what I recommend is a separate hide and keep sphagnum moss inside. It's extremely great at holding humidity and it's perfect for shedding as well. The snake will seek a moist area eventually or you can help guide it to it the first time or so. This does not mean you can let the rest of the tank drop extremely low but it won't cause any damage to have it around 50% at times as long as a moist hide box is available. Sphagnum moss is available at most pet stores that sell reptiles. If your tank is not big enough for 2 hides, designate a corner of a tank to your snakes humidity needs. Place some sphagnum moss in that corner and some plants that cover it from view so that your snake feels comfortable there.

BTW. Do not leave sphagnum moss in the tank for too long as bacteria can begin to grow and spread. Remove any old sphagnum moss and replace with a new batch once a week.

Hope this helps.

lacy_black

Gray-bearded Member
herpfreak":1de08 said:
:D Just make sure they're supervised closely! It only takes a few seconds for them to drown.

That's what I keep telling my male ball Ballz but he disagrees with me :roll: He will stick his head under water for 3 or more minutes at a time, freaks me out so I lift his head out. He gets mad and sticks it back in...it's a never-ending fight between us :lol:

herpfreak

Gray-bearded Member
lacy_black":90d09 said:
herpfreak":90d09 said:
:D Just make sure they're supervised closely! It only takes a few seconds for them to drown.

That's what I keep telling my male ball Ballz but he disagrees with me :roll: He will stick his head under water for 3 or more minutes at a time, freaks me out so I lift his head out. He gets mad and sticks it back in...it's a never-ending fight between us :lol:
:laughhard: That is so funny! I've never heard of a snake doing that! My Borneo blood loves going under (which is fine by me, helps flush the mites out of his heat pits), but never for more than a few seconds. My ball, on the other hand, hates the water altogether and never goes under. :p Silly little guys, these snakes!

Okiemavis

Another option is to line the cage with hydroballs, then plastic screening, then the bedding (I like Eco-Earth). You can fill the tank up with water as high as the hydroballs go. It'll keep the substrate from going to mud, but keep the humidity high.

You can also buy a fogger, but it'll run you around $75. I have one for my dart frogs and I have it on a timer so it goes off for 5 minutes every 15 minutes.

One last thing, make sure the hydrometer you have is accurate. It seems like every single one I buy is crap within 6 months. Blah!

herpfreak

Gray-bearded Member
Okiemavis":662e3 said:
One last thing, make sure the hydrometer you have is accurate. It seems like every single one I buy is crap within 6 months. Blah!
Yep. Those little circular ones sold at pet stores are worthless. I had one that was off by 50%. My digital thermometer said the room was at 30%, this one said it was at 80%. :shock:

Many people on this forum use the AcuRite digital thermometer / hygrometer with a probe for beardies; these work great for snakes, too, especially with the humidity reading. And with one of these, you can put the probe inside the hide box.

Eventide

Hatchling Member
My place's humidity is usually around 10-15% so it's hard to keep the humidity up sometimes! I started using a humid hide made of a plastic container with damp, fake moss in the bottom, and it works wonderfully! The snakes go in there when they need higher humidity and stay away when they don't. :D

For my rainbow boa, I have a plastic Vision cage with a small household humidifier that is connected to the tank via PVC pipe. It's on a timer so it goes off regularly throughout the day. Keeps the boa happy!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J.sobrero
Top Bottom