What did I do wrong on background

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuskugee

Hatchling Member
I used styrofoam for the background. I carved and glued pieces accordingly to make the design I wanted. I then grouted it with non sanded grout. I did about 5 coats of the grout. After the grout I sealed it up. Now it's finished and when I put pressure on the background it dents and the grout chips off easily. Does that always do that? Do you want thin coats of grout on? Did I just not wait long enough for grout to dry? Please help me out.

Thanks

Doesj

Hatchling Member
first of all, you want to coat in increasingly thicker layers of grout.
The first one should be like olive oil, the second a bit more solid, the third even more so and the fourth and final layer should have about the consistency of toothpaste.

Secondly, if you put pressure on it on a small surface (like the tip of your finger), it will allways dent, even after 5-6 layers. That's because you can put multiple pounds of pressure on your finger. A beardie weighing only 1 pound will never put 15 pounds of pressure on your background

JeffSimpson

Juvie Member
Doesj":2bw0mmc0 said:
first of all, you want to coat in increasingly thicker layers of grout.
The first one should be like olive oil, the second a bit more solid, the third even more so and the fourth and final layer should have about the consistency of toothpaste.

FWIW, I've never followed this method. I generally start out pretty thick, and then get a bit thinner. My first coat starts off like thick peanut butter, as well as the second, and then a little thinner for the 3rd (and final) coat. The thinner coat allows you to make some subtle markings to give it a textured look. I waited at least 8 hours in between coats, and then 2-3 coats of mod podge.

Did you use premixed grout, or did you mix it yourself? If the latter, what was your process for mixing it? Did you let it set after it was mixed? I've never really had an issue with grout 'flaking' off, so something definitely isn't right there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom