What are your views on a dig box?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LaDragonEcho

Hatchling Member
I was thinking of giving Kovu a Dig box in his new tank but i didn't know if some people recommended them or not... if i don't feed him in there then the risk of impaction isn't so great right? but being curious as all beardies always are there is the obvious prediction that he will lick the sand anyways... i would just have a small dig box if i added on... OR if there is something else i could use in the dig box instead of sand that will satisfy My dragons need to burrow.. Just let my know your opinion...

zandi202

BD.org Addict
Personally I don't use dig boxes with either of my babies, a 6mo male and 5mo female. The male had one when he was younger, but it became more of a hassle than anything. Flax seed is good because it is digestible and if your beardie eats it, they're fine. The only problem is as soon as the poop in it, all the flax seed has to be removed. Too much bacteria. At first when it was sand he would dig in it, but then when I switched it to flax seed he would only poop in it and it wasn't worth the price of flax seed for him to have it. Only females really need it and only when they are about to lay infertile/fertile eggs.

I have been debating the same thing with my juvenile beardie. I would say it's a good idea but use the finely sifted play sand, because if it is accidentally ingested it shouldn't cause too much problems. Sand isn't reccomended as overall substrate because they can easily eat it if they're fed crickets in their tank, but a dig box doesn't seem like it would be too dangerous. If he doesn't like it you can just take it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tlpowell718
Top Bottom