What are some physical key characteristics of a citrus tiger

Status
Not open for further replies.

ArielAnn

Hello! I just want to know if you guys know about some physical characteristics about the citrus tigers? I have one whose name is Shayera, and i believe i've read somewhere that a good indicator is the yellow in their beard. But I'm not certain, does anyone else know some?

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
The color.

As citrus tiger is purely a description of color and not a morph.

And tiger isn't a morph either, it's a characteristic, just like red, yellow, grey, etc are characteristics.
IMO, labeling something as tiger is a shady marketing tactic. Others might disagree though.

-Brandon

ArielAnn

Original Poster
thank you for replying!. well i do know obviously color. but i know that babies aren't as defined, especially in color. so i was wondering what can i look for in specifics.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Only way really would be to look at the parents.

That is the best guess as to what a baby will grow up to look like.

-Brandon

ArielAnn

Original Poster
so i go to reptile show often, narbc, super show, and repticon. The last repticon i went to is when i bought my dragon. but some tables there are labeling what looks like citrus tigers just as yellow, and primary colors really. so i was thinking that if i know what to tell a citrus tiger by off the bat, i could probably get it for cheaper than the price its worth. i was really just wondering if they're some key factors of knowing a citrus tiger.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Well citrus, just means the dragon has yellow coloring.

Really isn't a difference between a yellow tiger, and a citrus tiger.
It's like using the word magma to describe the color red. It's to make it sound cooler..

Tiger, is just a type of pattern on a dragons back, which doesn't look hardly any different, IMO, from a normal dragons patterning.

So, if they say it's a citrus, first step would be to make sure it has yellow coloring.. If thats true, than part one is complete.
If they say it's tiger, look for a slightly different marking pattern on their backs. If it looks like it's different, or it looks like something you like, than there is your citrus tiger for you.

But ultimately, as far as morphs go, that would be considered a normal dragon. Albeit a yellow normal dragon with "tiger-like" markings on it's back.

-Brandon

koiboydavid

Hatchling Member
Seriously Brandon...." a shady marketing tactic"? It is not a marketing tactic at all. It is a description for a genetic pattern and color. Refer to Draggintails website for plenty of information on what a true citrus tiger is. You can call it a yellow tiger too. Brandon is right in that these names breeders come up with are just labels for different colors or patterns. In this business, citrus = yellow.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It definitely is a marketing tactic.

It is a picturesque description of the dragons traits instead of an expository description of the dragons trait. That is misleading in my opinion. Hence being a shady marketing tactic.

Honestly, are you a breeder? Why do you call your dragons citrus instead of yellow? To make them sound better, more appealing?

Anyways, I don't think it's that big of a deal, just not entirely right IMO. However, labeling things as tiger and such, I do think are greatly more misleading.

-Brandon

koiboydavid

Hatchling Member
Citrus Tiger is a very expository label and as such conveys a lot of information about the dragons genetics. I do breed citrus (or yellow) dragons that are not tigers (they lack the blue sidebars) and I do breed citrus (or yellow) tigers that have the vivid blue sidebars and it is a genetic trait that is passed on to the offspring. How do you consider this misleading? Misleading would be selling someone a citrus tiger that wants to produce solid yellow dragons. Guess what, it will not happen. It will not happen because those "tiger" blue sidebars are genetic.

I use the term citrus with certain dragons to stay consistent with the nomenclature that other reputable breeders before me have chosen to use.

ArielAnn

Original Poster
thanks a lot for the info guys! :mrgreen: so what makes a citrus TIGER is blue side bars. and a citrus is just yellow. if thats the case, i'll just stick to citrus tigers, cause i LOVE their blue! i'll be sure once i buy more, i'll ask to look at the parents too :) thank you!

koiboydavid

Hatchling Member
Exactly ArielAnn! Citrus, yellow, lemon, amarillo, (whatever you want to call them :) ) tigers are awesome. Don't get caught up in the phenotype of the parents. Some tigers are minimal expression (very faint sidebars) but produce nice stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylis342
Top Bottom