What am I doing wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PintoBeanDragon1000

Hatchling Member
So I am in the process of taming Sakari and I hold him and bathe him and hand feed him with tongs.... I feed him a few minutes ago while he was sitting on my hand and he wouldn't let go. Any other time he flattens out and puffs up a tiny bit. He runs while I am trying to get him out sometimes while others he puts up no fight until I get him out and I put him on my chest and cover him with my hand. He then runs up my chest to my shoulders where I catch him before he dives off my should which is almost a 6 foot drop maybe 5 foot and a few inches from my shoulder. He is nuts and it is hard for me to understand why he does this I'm good with you one minute and then acts like he hates me. I am the only one who holds him who bathes him on a very rare chance I am not home my grandma feeds him..... I just don't now what to do. Please help me with tipson taming a baby beardie. Is it just how babies are will he mellow out when he grows up a bit more. It kida hurts my feelings because I am trying my damdest :cry:

JulieGeek

Hatchling Member
You're not doing anything wrong. Your dragon is just being, well, himself. He's just a little fellow and he's busy figuring out what this whole "person-thing" is all about.

I've had my Princess for about two months now and she hadn't been handled for the first six months of her life. Talk about a spaz! Yesterday, for the first time, she sat quietly with me for about 10 minutes...before flinging herself off my knee. It just takes time and patience.

Stay calm and handle him often. It doesn't always have to be picking him up. Just any time you walk by pat him on the head or stroke his sides or beard. Talk to him and try to be amused by his antics, rather than feeling that he hates you. When Sakari is older and has turned into a complete couch potato, you'll look back and smile.

You can also try associating yourself more closely with feeding. I feed Princess baby food with my fingers--I like to think she associates my smell with nummy treats. I also use a feeding tank, rather than feed her in her viv. In that case, I like to think she associates getting picked up with eating.

Finally, I try to only put her down when she's calm, rather than "rewarding" her spaz with "getting" to run away.

There's my $0.02.

Loiosh & Princess' Mom

Esther19

BD.org Addict
I agree with everything Juliegeek had to say. I just want to add that whenever I take my dragons out, regardless of age, I hold them up so they can see my face while I talk to them. They seem to find this interesting, and I feel that we "bond" a bit more. Fred looks at me more intently than the others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom