What about calcium spray?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just curious because it seems like it might be more convenient to spray crickets than to dust them, but I haven't seen anyone recommend the spray in the short time I've been avidly haunting this board. :) Is there a reason more people don't use it?

dom02

I'm curious about that as well. Now that my beardie eats mostly veggies I figure it would be easier to spray his veggies and get it to stick, then it would for the powder.

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
I guess it would depend on what's in it and how it would be "dosed". For the most part we are trying to achieve a balanced diet, not just provide as much calcium as we possibly can.

The powder is designed for use on crickets (they say for use with greens too, but personally I think that's overdoing it). The better brands are formulated (particle size, fillers etc) to deposit the right amount of calcium onto a cricket to balance the Ca:p ratio. I imagine it's actually harder to dose the spray. If you use a plastic cup to dust, it makes it pretty easy.

If you are feeding a good veggie diet, there shouldn't be a need to supplement the calcium, or at least not daily. Things like mustard and turnip greens are quite high in calcium, and collard greens even higher still.

LLLReptile

Juvie Member
While the spray can be useful for the greens, most sprays do not have D3 in them, so they are often lacking in that key component for indoor housed beardies. If I remember correctly, calcium/D3 tends to clump up when mixed with other vitamins, which is why the higher end or 'old school' supplements are separate - think Rep Cal , or the repashy calciums and the multivitamin lines that are separate.

If your beardie is housed outdoors, consider using the calcium spray - but honestly, most powders are still the best as far as balanced supplements for what your beardies need.

-Jen

lori2plus1

Original Poster
Thanks for the feedback! I haven't actually used the spray myself, was just curious having seen it mentioned elsewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Panthercat
Top Bottom