Western Hognose

Status
Not open for further replies.

NYDragon

Hatchling Member
Hi! I want to get one of these guys soon. Does any one here own one of these snakes? I'm just looking for any info someone could provide on caring for these guys. This would be my first snake. I've read the care sheets but it is always great to here from people with first hand experience. Thanks!

Erin

zimbabwepegasus

Extreme Poster
Umm...
Well a hognose is a heck of a first snake. How much general herp experience do you have?
One- they can be expensive
Two- it's a rear-fanged snake with mild venom (you might want to look into the legality of the snake, it'll depend on where you live)

That said, they are reported to be mild-tempered, they're a great size for a first snake and god knows, they are cute little buggers. Additionally it isn't exactly easy for this snake to transit venom to a person.

If you are super comfy with herps, snakes in particular, accustomed to their behavior and up for the idea that a bite might result in swelling and some irritation- Go for it.
I understand, I want one. :D

Bellalee

Juvie Member
Great post above.. :) I really wanted one too.. I've noticed they are expensive too.. 100-200 probably more for just a normal? Oh well they are adorable.

Jasper's Mom

BD.org Addict
We have one at the zoo where I used to be a docent. He was one of our handleable animals, meaning we could take him out to show to the general public. He was the cutest snake I've ever seen! Ever since then I've wanted one desperately. If you do get one, please post lots of pictures. :D

NYDragon

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I will probably get one for BHB. Their normals are $50.00 which is normal for a snake. The morphs are really expensive though :shock: My friend has a few western hogs and a few tricolor hogs and she finds them to be really great snakes. Plus they are so darn cute. I've never had a snake before but I'm pretty comfortable with all animals with the exception of creepy bugs :) I have seen the venom issue and it doesn't seem to be too bad. I guess I'll find out though. From what I've heard it doesn't really bother people unless they really chew on you or you are allergic. Most people who are allergic seem to be allergic to bee stings, etc, which I'm not, so I'll cross my fingers. I'm waiting on the rest of my supplies to come in. I need the heat pad and thermostat to ship in before I am set. I'm probably going to get one from the reptile expo but if not I'll just order one. I want a Kenyan Sand Boa too. Their requirements are pretty similar, thankfully. It will make things easier. I will definitely post pics when I get them. Thanks for the help!

Erin

kaimarion

Hatchling Member
The western hoggies are great wee snakes but some like to hiss and hood a lot while others only do it once in a blue moon, even if a hoggie gets it's rear fangs into you there is no guarantee anything will happen I was bitten by my adult male who got his fangs into my finger and I had no reaction to the bite whatsoever. He was only on my hand for about 30-40 secs before he decided to let go, if you did get bitten run cold water over the hognoses head and hopefully it will let go.
The bite isn't painful but the fangs going in and out of your finger feels weird.

NYDragon

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thanks for the advice everyone. I did end up getting one from Cutting Edge Herp at a reptile expo. He's a normal het ghost. I think he may be a light phase. Its hard to get proper pics of him though to show exactly how he looks. He only cost $40. I think an albino starts at $100 and then the rarer morphs such as the anaconda (which I want :) ) are very pricey. He's an awesome little snake though. I posted pictures in a new thread. I'll have to get some better ones of him soon.

Erin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylis342
Top Bottom