Well according the the people in my other topic I am ready t

Status
Not open for further replies.

cxerphax

Hatchling Member
start feeding roaches out to my bearded dragon. Id say I have well over 30 pairs. Now what size should a 17 innch 6 month old beardy eat? How amny a meal? But most importantly how do I extract the roaches?! same as crickets? I use those black tubes. Ive touched very big nymphs but I would NEVER TOUCH A ADULT MALE DUBIA :puke:

adamcollier11

Hatchling Member
Feeders should be no bigger then the space between your beardies eyes. But I think someone correct me if I'm wrong here 17 inch beardie should be able to eat any size Dubia...

As for getting them out I use my fingers, its the easiest way I know it can be kinda icky but sometimes you have to just suck it up for your beardies sake...

Adam

Ruby2uesday

Juvie Member
adamcollier11":0d29b said:
As for getting them out I use my fingers, its the easiest way I know it can be kinda icky but sometimes you have to just suck it up for your beardies sake...
Adam

You've got the kinda icky part down right! BLECH!!!!!

moose9

Hatchling Member
Both my 16" & 17" beardies eat full size B. dubia without any problem. They usually eat 5 or more per feeding. I just reach in the feeder container and grab a handful and put them in a separate container and they feed. When I get a chance, I'll shoot a feeding video.

dawnki

Juvie Member
my beardie eats about 14-16 dubia a day -----i don't feed him adults as he has trouble gulping down anything larger than an inch and a half-----my dragon is a little 'special'-------most adult dragons can easily take an adult male dubia with no problems........they are softer in body too--wings get a little in the way.

as far as handling-----just reach in and pick'em up. they don't bite and will usually settle once you get a good, gentle hold of them. i hand feed roaches to bruno (my beardie) and he loves them.

cxerphax

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
ARE YOU GUYS SERIOUS?! You touch adult roaches? Is there no other way? Can I take him in the roach bin like a hawk and let him eat what he wants instead? Me carrying him while he eats is that okay?

I know roaches sound gross I've got them for my inverts but they really wont bite at all. I've feed them from my hand they love fruit. Its creepy at first but they are actually much cleaner than crickets believe it or not. After awhile you get used to handeling the roachs. I've been know to walk around with a hand full feeding T's.

dawnki

Juvie Member
cxerphax":c6a00 said:
ARE YOU GUYS SERIOUS?! You touch adult roaches? Is there no other way? Can I take him in the roach bin like a hawk and let him eat what he wants instead? Me carrying him while he eats is that okay?

think of your roaches more like they are beetles or rolly-pollies. to me there is nothing 'roachy' about them. you'll get over you ewwwwwness, i promise. :lol:

ScooterBlenny

Hatchling Member
I feel your pain - I'm still not brave enough to touch adult roaches. For a while there, I would hold a little tupperware container in the bin and "herd" the roaches I wanted in with a stick or something, but I could only catch a couple before they all hid in the egg crates.

I went on vacation last week, and my husband took care of feeding Pudge. I asked him whether he had any problems catching roaches, and he said "Nope, I just grab em with the tweezers." I was kind of suprised, because I can't seem to catch them with the tweezers/tongs - they always wiggle out.

When I got home, I made hubby teach me how he caught the roaches. It was kind of funny to watch - he takes the feeding tweezers and grabs the roaches he wants from the top of the eggcrates. He just grabs them real fast, and he definitely squeezes them harder than I do. I'm a total roach wimp.

So I'm getting better, but I'm still pretty lame at it. Just get you some feeding tongs or tweezers and grab them with that. Have a little container ready to drop them into.

Ihaggerty1313

Juvie Member
I hate to be the bearer of bad news but if you plan on using roaches for feeders, your gonna have to learn how to handle them. The more contraptions you use the more prone you'll be to a spill. Hands on is the only way to go. You'll get used to them.

-Ian
http://www.theroachranch.com

Ruby2uesday

Juvie Member
Someone once told me to get a little plastic container, cut a hole in the top and secure 1/4 in wire mesh on top. then place a yummy fruit or something inside like oranges etc.... i guess only the smaller ones can get in and not the big ones??? haven't tried it yet, but just hadn't gotten a chance to get the mesh stuff.

on a note about the touching of roaches and thinking they are beetles.....
The ones in the middle, yes i can see them as "beetles", the ones on the outside.... oh heck no! LOL But i deal w/ them. as long as they don't touch me i'm cool! lol
http://gallery.pethobbyist.com/data/2860dubiassigned2-med.jpg

berdo24

i just grab them with feeding tongs no problems. Other wise if i have to ill just grab it.. kind onf pinch it with your finger and thumb on the top and they roll into a semi circle and it makes it easier to hold them

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tlpowell718
Top Bottom