weird belly color, not stress spots

Status
Not open for further replies.

bhigginsjr88

Hatchling Member
Beardies can't drop their tail. If they lose any part of their tail they can not regrow it. Also from what I understand only males have pre anal pores.

rusty559

Original Poster
hmm, ill have to research the pores, but i hope its a male, the old owners called it cha cha because it bobs its head like its dancing.
now i can give him a real name

spyder79

Extreme Poster
bhigginsjr88":3djnt1z1 said:
Beardies can't drop their tail. If they lose any part of their tail they can not regrow it. Also from what I understand only males have pre anal pores.
Both males and females can have overly pronounced preanal pores. The shure fire sign is the dual hemipenal bulges. The discoloration you are talking about is likely shed as that is what is going on with her stomach. Just soak her often and eventually it will shed off. Considering you are unsure on sex due to the loos skin there is an easy trick with adults. Put a LED flashlight (smaller than the base of the tail) on top of the tail and you view from the underneath. If its a male you will be able to recognize some very pronounced light to dark red "tube like" shapes. If you see this it is a male. Based on the photo and your explanations of the behavior I would suspect it is a male.

spyder79

Extreme Poster
bhigginsjr88":wr94uwyb said:
And I'm 99% positive only males head bob.

No females can headbob as well. It is not sex specific it will depend on weather or not you have a "alpha" personality type dragon. I have a female that acts so male that if you didn't know what you were looking for you would assume male. Alpha females dragons will headbob, they will even go as far as to quort another female. My alpha female actually mounted one of my less dominant males once.

rusty559

Original Poster
well neither of my flashlights will shine through. but my dragon sure thinks its the dominant one in this room. even bosses me around sometimes, like right now shes telling me something like shes hungry or wants out, but im busy. it is fascinating how intelligent these lizards are. you can look into their eyes and understand them, it would be better if they had fascial muscles like humans so you could actualy read their mind.

nair88

Gray-bearded Member
spyder79":1psx658v said:
Put a LED flashlight (smaller than the base of the tail) on top of the tail and you view from the underneath. If its a male you will be able to recognize some very pronounced light to dark red "tube like" shapes.
that's a really cool trick!

spyder79

Extreme Poster
nair88":3lyhh1ml said:
spyder79":3lyhh1ml said:
Put a LED flashlight (smaller than the base of the tail) on top of the tail and you view from the underneath. If its a male you will be able to recognize some very pronounced light to dark red "tube like" shapes.
that's a really cool trick!
yep only works on adults though.

rusty559

Original Poster
i still cant shine a light through her tail. would a picture help?
or is there any other way of telling like feeling for a bulge

Does the strofoam in the bandana not melt or anything do to the heat lamp? I never use strofaom (I had it when it rubs on each other like stackable cups and or the lid on a cooler)...

gogga

Juvie Member
i still cant shine a light through her tail. would a picture help?
or is there any other way of telling like feeling for a bulge

Put her flat on a table (Flat surface) and bend the tail upward (Not toooooo far) till you see this.

2 bulges = male

sexing_male.jpg

1 = female

sexing_female.jpg

They are situated just above the vent on the tailbase

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J.sobrero
Top Bottom