Weight variations

Status
Not open for further replies.

neilkd21

Hatchling Member
Hi all,

Is it normal for beardies to have variations in their weight. Our 5 year old currently weights 560g. However looking back at his weights he has varied over the last 2 years from 620g at heaviest to 550g at the lightest. Seems to go in cycles as the lightest was about this time 2 years ago And seems to be at his heaviest around December January times.

He has always been fine on his vet checks and if anything at his heaviest a little overweight.

He has been absolutely fine lately, full of energy but not eating much but then he has always done that since he was an adult as has periods he eats loads then slows down.

Just interested if this variation is normal?

Thanks
Neil

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Yes .

If the dragon doesn't poo everyday , but saves it for a few or even several days , it's not unknown for an adult dragon to poo away 40g in one go.

Now fluctuations in the body weight will be influenced by the dragon's diet , feeding schedule , temperature, activity , and the pooing interval.

Gravid dragons will gain a lot while developing eggs .

If there's a steady decline In the body weight, it may indicate "wasting" and that there is something wrong with the dragon's health.
A good reason to weigh the dragon weekly ( same day every week and keep a graph ) . You'll see variations at a glance and be able to pick trends and maybe head off health problems early.

neilkd21

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Yeah when he was younger we weighed him weekly as was 6 months when we rescued him and not in great shape, but now every couple of months, will switch weekly for a bit.

It seems to be the weight is up and down over the years and seems to be a trend based on time of year so don't think anything wrong with him. Had his yearly vet check 2 months ago and all clear.

He only tends to poo every 5 or 6 days but has been like that since he was about 2 years old, and only in his bath.

His feeding is up and down, not one for greens as don't think his previous owner fed them to him when was young, tend to have to sneak some in when he is chewing his locust lol. He gets live food twice a week and some apple or melon weekly as likes them. Food supplemented with nutrobal.

He is fairly active lately, tend to move onto his basking rock for an hour or two before when gets up. When out he tends to run around the lounge each day like a mad man for a bit so he seems fine.

Tank temps are 39c on basking rock, 30c mid point and 24c in cool end and has good UV so that's all good. Basking temp was higher when younger but lowered few degrees when about 2 as he was suddenly avoiding it so must have been too hot.

Sure everything is fine just wondered about the weight variation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoonBug
Top Bottom