Weight Question

SenditJase

Original Poster
My bearded dragon is now 10 weeks old and has started eating quite readily.

Salad is still quite challenging, but my partner has been able to get it to start eating salad a little more frequently through making cute cricket wraps out of kale - Yum!

I did our weekly/fortnightly weigh in, and he's at 51g, and sometimes when he's on his log you can see he's getting quite the belly.

He looks normal weight when he's walking around and is a lot more active now - stress marks also seem to be disappearing too.

My question is; should I start withholding a meal or 2 a day? Go from 2-3 feedings to 1 or 2?

According to a resource I was looking at for healthy weight ranges, at 10 weeks (2.3mths) he should only be around the 25-50g mark - and even that's pushing it.
The resource says 3-4 months 50-100g, 1-2 months 15-25g.

I think he's reached his maximum length, so is it okay to keep feeding him as I have been and he'll just grow in to himself?

Thanks

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
He is FAR from max length, your looking at upward of a year for that. Maybe more. He needs protein until he is grown. Make darn sure to keep him hydrated as well. Babies dehydrate faster than older beardies.

SenditJase

Original Poster
He is FAR from max length, your looking at upward of a year for that. Maybe more. He needs protein until he is grown. Make darn sure to keep him hydrated as well. Babies dehydrate faster than older beardies.

In terms of full grown yes, he is far from it, but in terms of length, that's not that far stretched considering maximum length is 12-24 inches (30cm-60cm) and he is already at the 25+ cm mark. Every dragon is different though.

I'm also aware at this point about hydration and diet - my question was regarding a healthy weight.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
My bearded dragon is now 10 weeks old and has started eating quite readily.

Salad is still quite challenging, but my partner has been able to get it to start eating salad a little more frequently through making cute cricket wraps out of kale - Yum!

I did our weekly/fortnightly weigh in, and he's at 51g, and sometimes when he's on his log you can see he's getting quite the belly.

He looks normal weight when he's walking around and is a lot more active now - stress marks also seem to be disappearing too.

My question is; should I start withholding a meal or 2 a day? Go from 2-3 feedings to 1 or 2?

According to a resource I was looking at for healthy weight ranges, at 10 weeks (2.3mths) he should only be around the 25-50g mark - and even that's pushing it.
The resource says 3-4 months 50-100g, 1-2 months 15-25g.

I think he's reached his maximum length, so is it okay to keep feeding him as I have been and he'll just grow in to himself?

Thanks
No - feed him as many insects he will eat in a 10 - 15 min time frame- and the cricket wrap is adorable and inventive - he needs some salads but his main diet is protein

SenditJase

Original Poster
No - feed him as many insects he will eat in a 10 - 15 min time frame- and the cricket wrap is adorable and inventive - he needs some salads but his main diet is protein
I’m not sure you’ve understood the question or my replies.

But thanks

Photos attached of my little baby belly

Attachments

• IMG_4489.jpeg
    IMG_4489.jpeg
    175.3 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_4492.jpeg
    IMG_4492.jpeg
    170.2 KB · Views: 47

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NeenaD11
Top Bottom