Waving

acidburn01

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Toothless
As we all know by now, Toothless has always aggressively head bobbed and foot stomped at Nova, racing and flying for her tank, etc.

What he'll do is headbob, then sometimes run as fast as he can toward her tank and leap off the bed for it like a flying squirrel and land on the ground. (Not a far drop, just maybe a foot or so onto carpet or a bag or something that's right here) and we'll pick him up and set him on the bed and usually if someone is sitting where he'd usually fly off, he'll just sit near the edge of the bed and stare, beard super black the entire time.

Here lately, Nova has gone from dainty headbobs amd waves, her own aggressive foot stomping and head bobbing to the push up while puffing up a tiny bit and being super black.

Well, he was sitting on the bed and all of a sudden, he started waving at her. He waved like six or seven times. She wasn't doing a pushup or puffing up or anything, just sitting there looking at him. He's never waved. Ever. He's only waved at us once when he was little. As soon as I picked him up and moved him, it was like... like the trance broke and he was *determined* to get to her. My 7 year old was standing beside the bed and he jumped on her to try to get a better chance of jumping into her tank.😅😅

My question is, why did he suddenly start arm waving.? She wasn't trying to act tough, she was just sitting on her hide, looking at him. It was definitely weird to see.

Attachments

• 20230201_141108.jpg
    20230201_141108.jpg
    163.7 KB · Views: 74
  • 20230201_141109.jpg
    20230201_141109.jpg
    180.2 KB · Views: 49

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Just his mood....he's going through a lot of mood/hormone changes and also confused as to why he can't get to Nova. He may even feel slightly submissive since he can't get to mate or fight, might even be calming himself down so to speak.

acidburn01

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Toothless
Just his mood....he's going through a lot of mood/hormone changes and also confused as to why he can't get to Nova. He may even feel slightly submissive since he can't get to mate or fight, might even be calming himself down so to speak.
That's so weird. I put Nova in the bubble bookbag and left him on the bed and he was trying to get to her, but I couldn't tell if it was to fight or mate. The only sign is his super black beard. We want them to be able to be out together without tearing each other apart because we do want them to mate when they're older but Toothless is such a nut job, we just don't know.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
Their mating ritual look scary, until she bullies him a bit, he will probably try to got straight in and grab her head(the triangular part the sticks out). Once she says oh h3ll no, he will flatten out and run in circles around her, head bobbing, gaping and stomping along the way. She may wave, head roll or run into him with her nose like she is trying to turn him over. At that point she won't let him mate till he can dominate her.

acidburn01

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Toothless
Their mating ritual look scary, until she bullies him a bit, he will probably try to got straight in and grab her head(the triangular part the sticks out). Once she says oh h3ll no, he will flatten out and run in circles around her, head bobbing, gaping and stomping along the way. She may wave, head roll or run into him with her nose like she is trying to turn him over. At that point she won't let him mate till he can dominate her.
So, once she says hell no, will they fight so she can get him off and he run around head bobbing and stuff.? Or will he release her head on his own to do the rest of it.?

Also, that sounds horrifying to watch.😂😂

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
It's a scenario that can not be predicted. Every dragon is different so you don't know how it will go down. For now you are stressing them out quite a lot though.

acidburn01

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Toothless
It's a scenario that can not be predicted. Every dragon is different so you don't know how it will go down. For now you are stressing them out quite a lot though.
We typically cover the other tank when one is out and the bookbag thing was a way to hopefully introduce them so it won't be a fight when we do decide to try to mate them. Nova didn't really care, she just sat there and stared uninterested. Toothless is always the one who's so frantic whenever he even thinks he sees her. We have their tanks catty corner from each other so while in them they can't see each other, unless Nova has her face pressed to the glass.

Is there a "good" time to introduce them or is it best to just wait until they're old enough to breed before introductions.?

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
They are already aware of each other so personally i would wait to have them near one another until Nova is old enough to breed. It's less stressful for both of them. Toothless can breed once he is near adult size, so he is going to very much be wanting to. Nova won't be ready untill 2 1/2ish years old (poor Toothless gonna have to resort to plan b lol until then).
I know i don't take my own advice with Zen but i get away with it because on my sectional he doesn't have line of site to the girls or Sinatra. They are NEVER EVER left unattended especially since Sinatra is so much smaller than Zen. (Zen is over 1000 grams, Sinatra less than 300).

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
They don't really need any prior introduction until it's breeding time. Some will breed, some won't. Most will though but it's not guaranteed.

acidburn01

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Toothless
They are already aware of each other so personally i would wait to have them near one another until Nova is old enough to breed. It's less stressful for both of them. Toothless can breed once he is near adult size, so he is going to very much be wanting to. Nova won't be ready untill 2 1/2ish years old (poor Toothless gonna have to resort to plan b lol until then).
I know i don't take my own advice with Zen but i get away with it because on my sectional he doesn't have line of site to the girls or Sinatra. They are NEVER EVER left unattended especially since Sinatra is so much smaller than Zen. (Zen is over 1000 grams, Sinatra less than 300).
He's definitely adult size. About 20 inches and 510-520 grams. Nova is like 18 inches and right at 500 grams, like 490 but she looks so much smaller than him. She's a month younger but she looks like three months younger than him, it's crazy. It definitely seems like he wants to. She responds to his head bobbing and foot stomping but she otherwise looks super uninterested.😅

Just to prepare, whenever we do breed them, what's a safe way to separate them should they start to fight.? Do they grab and hold on to each other or do they just do quick bites.? Thats a major concern of when it's time to introduce them

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Mine have never fought, so i can't answer that with any certainty.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nhacaiuytinco1
Top Bottom