Watery poop, again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adriana0918

Hatchling Member
So a few months back Hemingway was diagnosed with coccidia and pinworms and was given three different medications to get rid of those parasites. That still didn’t work and I tried toltrazuril as it was supposed to be a much less aggressive medication for coccidia. They messed him up completely, he wasn’t acting normal, eating right or anything. He never quite got his once aggressive appetite back and his poop never became solid like it should’ve and I’ve been trying yogurt and different forms of probiotics to get it to harden up. Im afraid he still has the parasites, but don’t want to have to medicate him again because of what the previous medications did to him. Not sure what to do. .

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Are you sure he has parasites. Has some one examined floats recently and diagnosed parasites and what kind of parasite was found ?

Did you thoroughly sterilize his entire viv and all his stuff while he was being treated beforehand and since. When and how and with what ?

This will help : viewtopic.php?f=45&t=235387&start=75
SMZ/TMP Oral Suspension
you have to use two meds and practice strict contamination control else they will never go away .

If reinfected with parasites , you'll never get rid of them unless you use appropriate meds and sterilize everything thoroughly and frequently (every poo).

Adriana0918

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I’m not sure that he has parasite but I do know that he had them. I took him to a vet and they found coccidia and pinworms. I did sterilize everything with a coccidial disinfectant. I sterilized it everyday for the first month and now only after each poop. I used it like it recommended. At this point I’m not sure what the proper meds are considering I no longer trust this vet at all. They’ve showed that they are clearly only out for money.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Adriana0918":3mxaxas7 said:
I’m not sure that he has parasite but I do know that he had them. I took him to a vet and they found coccidia and pinworms. I did sterilize everything with a coccidial disinfectant. I sterilized it everyday for the first month and now only after each poop. I used it like it recommended. At this point I’m not sure what the proper meds are considering I no longer trust this vet at all. They’ve showed that they are clearly only out for money.

I would think any vet can check for parasites .

Without someone checking you are flying blind and could very easily do more hard than good , I'd recommend you get someone to check some samples for parasites and take it from there one way or another depending on what if anything is found.

Adriana0918

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I’ll call the vet now, see if I can bring in a fecal sample. I’ll keep you posted, if that’s alright. I’d hate for him to go downhill again, he’s just bouncing back from those meds.

Edit: I called the vet, they would like for me to bring him in tomorrow. So I’ll be going tomorrow. Hemingway just pooped the other day and often doesn’t poop for about a week since he doesn’t eat a lot, so not sure if I’ll be able to get a fecal sample for tomorrow. Is there any other way they can check for parasites ?

Adriana0918

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Went to the vet, they are doing a fecal culture and checking for atadenovirus. Hoping that’s not the case :( If these tests come up negative, we’ll do a blood test. Vet says he looks great and he’s doubled his size since she saw him a few months back! Waiting for the results, could take a few days.

Adriana0918

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Vet called, fecal test came back negative.. so no parasites. They’re waiting on the results for the culture and test for atadenovirus. Was hoping it was parasites as they’re easy to get rid of. Getting nervous :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cr0w
Top Bottom