Water supplementation/UVB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, I recently realized that my UBV exposure had been insufficient. I was using a 10.0 T8 at over 10 inches away so my beardie has probably not been getting enough. I just switched (about 5 days ago) to a 10.0 T5 and upgraded to a 22" bulb/fixture with a build in reflector (from Calorina Custom Cages). His basking spot is now 12" from the bulb. Anyway he has been acting kind of lethargic and not very interested in food and having loose stool prompting a vet visit. They gave him de-worming meds and his stools are good again but still lethargic and not wanting to eat. He won't touch his salads and only takes roaches reluctantly (maybe 2-3 a day). I am worried he could be getting dehydrated from not eating much so am starting to give him water with a syringe. He will take water if a add some crushed blueberry to it so I have been dripping that on his nose and he licks it up. My questions are; Do you think he could be still lethargic from lack of UVB and it will take time for him to perk up? And with dripping this water how much should I aim for him to drink a day? The syringe I have is 1ml.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Quit adding the blueberry --- too sweet -- it should of perked him up w/ the new UVB - is it inside the tank? And did the vet do a fecal before prescribing those meds? You dont give meds for something you dont know exactly that he has-- the meds will effect his appetite -- how long has he been on them and is he off now? I would give him water on his nose and see if he will drink it w/ out the blueberry - does he look dehydrated - what kind of med did they put him on?
Karrie

Dogstar5988

Original Poster
He won't drink plain water from his nose I've tried. I have heard other people using diluted juice to get them to drink. The UBV is inside the tank suspended over his basking spot. He hadn't had a bowel movement in over a week at the time so she couldn't do a fecal. They gave the de-wormer assuming that was the issue. He got 2 doses of Panacur and then daily doses for 4 days of something else I don't remember. He has been off the daily one for about a week and just got the final dose of Panacur yesterday. I can't really tell if he is dehydrated honestly. I tried the pinch skin thing but there isn't much to pinch up so I'm not sure.
81415-5486283903.jpg
81415-4154021060.jpg

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, a little blueberry is fine and you can let him have as much water as he wants as long as he doesn't choke. If lack of uvb was the problem then the new bulb will correct it. He looks very healthy so see how he does over the next few weeks. :) Keep in mind that some beardies will be slowing down for at least a short or intermittent brumation this time of year and they don't have much interest in food.

Dogstar5988

Original Poster
Ok thank you. I checked and he hasn't lost any weight and actually gained 50 grams or so this month (up to 593). I will just continue to monitor him and give him water when/if he refuses to eat.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Is the UVB directly over him it's hard to tell if not move your basking decor under it- T 5 12-15 inches-- T 8 6-8 inches
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom