wat helps them grow?

Status
Not open for further replies.
i bought two beardies about 2 weeks ago even though they have gotten bigger, for there age i heard they are small no more than 6 inches.i was told they where 6 weeks at that time. so i wanted to know if there is somethin i could do to help with there growth?

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Moved here from General Discussion forum

Well, there are certain necessities that help them grow to be big & healthy. They need a good UVB light, proper temperatures, calcium & vitamin supplements, lots of protein, a good diet of healthy greens & veggies, proper hydration, etc.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
So, they're about 8 wks old and only 6" long? Are they or had they been housed together?

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That's good that they are separated. Are they in view of each other?

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
You might want to think of a way to block their view of each other, especially since one is smaller than the other because that can really stress them out which can cause a loss of appetite & activity. How much do each of them eat in a day? What UVB are you using on each tank? How are their temps and what type of thermometer are you using? How often do you dust their live food with calcium & vitamins? How do you keep them hydrated? Sorry for all the questions, but all these things are very important to babies.

cindyaguilarx3

Original Poster
um the bigger guys eats alot vi buy him 30 crickets and about a half hour later theres only like 5 left. the little one eats alot less i buy him only 20 crickets and only eats no more than 10 they both have snacks like mealworms and wax worms in the week they have 10. reptisun uvb flourecent light with 50 w basking light i have just a regular thermometer but i know i need one with a probe? not sure about that. i sprinkle calcium on the crickets when i get them from the store

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Well, 30 crickets a day is pretty good for an 8 wk old, do you feed them live food 2 to 3 times a day? Only 10 crickets a day is no where near enough. Babies usually eat between 30 and 100 crickets a day each. Feeding mealworms really isn't a good idea because they don't have much nutritional value and have a hard chitin shell which can cause an impaction, especially to a baby. You might want to consider getting phoenix worms, horns, butters, silkworms or even dubia roaches. All of those are much better than wax worms & mealworms. Are they eating any greens/veggies? What ones do you offer?

So, they each have a Repti-Sun fluorescent? Is it placed within 6 to 8" from their basking spots so they can get the benefit of the UVB and basking bulb at the same time? Yes, it's a must that you get a good thermometer, temps are critical, especially for babies. Are your basking bulbs white or colored bulbs?

Since you are sprinkling the calcium on the crickets when you get them, you would be better off shaking about 1/2 dozen crickets at a time in a small amt of calcium in a plastic bag, then feeding them right away so that the calcium is still on them. It's also important to gutload your crickets so that the beardies get the benefits of well fed crickets.

cindyaguilarx3

Original Poster
do they have these worms at pet stores or would i have to order them? i do put them out side also for about half hour to get natural light i would put them longer but with the az sun im afraid theyll cook out there. were would i find a good but cheap thermometor? they eat lettuce thats really all greens i give them just cause i dont know what else to give them

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Pet stores don't "usually" have the worms I mentioned. We could suggest lots of good places to order them online. Please be very careful when you put them outside, it's a big scary world and they could overheat if they are in a glass tank and/or not in some shade. Walmart has the Acurite brand digital thermometer with probe & humidity readout for about $12.00. If you need a picture of it, let me know & I can post one tomorrow night. Here's a site that most of us here use for the greens/veggies: http://www.beautifuldragons.503.xtreme.com/Nutrition.html Lettuce causes runny poo and not much nutritional value at all. Can you post any pics of your babies for us?

cindyaguilarx3

Original Poster
this is my big guy
P6110147.jpg

and the little one
P6080135.jpg

Venom508

Juvie Member
oh my gosh he is soo skinny!!

i would cut the lettuce out and replace it with greens listed in beutifuldragons.

i would also cut the meal worms too. maybe you could feed somthing to him thats naturally fatty for like 2 weeks to put some weight on him.

have you got a fecal done? parasites might be taking all his nutrition and making him skinny.

best of luck with him!!

do they have names yet??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Critter Guy
Top Bottom