WARNING, Should've considered this before getting her!

Status
Not open for further replies.
As a new dragon owner, I feel it my place to inform others that are thinking about getting a bearded dragon some things they should consider before purchase that are not in the books. Please read and be advised:

1. When you first get him/her you will be completely fascinated. Such fascination turns into obsessive watching from outside of the tank and constantly chatting about obscure lizard things that most do not understand or appreciate.

2. When this simple scaly thing accepts you as a friend and enjoys your company, you will fall completely in love, quite possibly making your significant other jealous (because if your dragon is anything like mine, she will require daily spas/massages and that you cuddle her to sleep every night).

3. Once you have fallen in love, your pet beardie will freak you out. If you are unfamiliar with dragon ways (as I was), any change in behavior/mood will have you researching possibilities for HOURS.

4. Your social media pages, Facebook, Instagram and the like, will from now on be filled with lizard pictures. You may lose many followers, thinking you have gone crazy. But you will also gain lots of new followers, people who love their beardies just as much as you love yours...

5. Your beardie will make you feel like a kid. All day at work you will think about him/her, doodle ideal vivariums, make wish and wants lists, and read forums on beardeddragon.org all day.

6. Prepare to spend more money than planned for... You will love your beardie and want nothing but the best for it!!

If you can handle the above mentioned forewarnings, then WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR??

Much love,

Kim (aka Lizard Lady)
80321-2950797938.jpg
My girly, Artemisia :love5:

nursie180

omg glad I am not the only crazy dragon person we have MRS D and absolutely adore her that all I do when I am not working is watch she is so beautiful I think they should come with a warning that they will capture your heart never in a million years would I have thought that I would fall in love with a reptile but that is exactly what has happened

Amen! In fact, I was so enamored with my scaly baby that I ended up adopting another only half a year later :lol: They're so precious. I haven't had children but I imagine this must be what motherly love feels like.

Betty53218

Hatchling Member
Loved reading this! I could have written it myself. My exact thoughts on the subject. My husband and friends think I have gone off the deep end. I even rock Smaugie and sing the songs that I used to sing to my kids and grandkids when they were babies! He loves it!

Tommyst

Truer words have never been spoken! :lol:
I'm currently sitting at work and secretly reading about beardites... guess who's in love? :D

(Luckily, my partner's in love with my beardie as well, so no jealousy involved there 8) )

KimNartemisia

Original Poster
Hahaha we are all NUTS ;) Love it. I've had Arty for a little over a year now and she still has my heart. Last spring we packed up and moved all the way across the country, she in the front seat, baths in a different hotel every night. :) We even visited Theodore Roosevelt National Park together and she bobbed her head at the bison haha. She's been on and off sleeping through the winter, but yesterday... She came out and ate a salad!! Since moving I've also gotten two Leos and a hoggy snake, but she is still my number one. Reptiles are addicting....

So good to hear I'm not the only crazy. ;)

KimNartemisia

Original Poster
Tommyst":1vhjo1rb said:
Truer words have never been spoken! :lol:
I'm currently sitting at work and secretly reading about beardites... guess who's in love? :D

(Luckily, my partner's in love with my beardie as well, so no jealousy involved there 8) )

Lucky dog! ;) I think my husband secretly likes her but pretends to be all tough about it. I think he's just jealous ha. He does love my hognose snake, and one of geckos who is a ferocious little beast. I think he likes the fiesty ones where Arty is just like a little baby who bobs her head every once in awhile lol.

PogoLover

Juvie Member
I just saw this for the first time today and I read it out loud to my son. THIS IS SO TRUE. My daughter is the one jealous of the beardie, though! :)

My hubby just brought home #2. He was on his construction site and saw a beardie running by. He took a pic, called me, then scooped him up in a bucket and brought him home. Hubby was terrified a bird would get him. I named him Jack.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Never truer words typed ....

Bearded dragons are way better than cats and dogs IMO, and every single one has totally different personality , a lot more goes on inside their heads than those who haven't had the privilege of spending many many hours with them as companion pets will ever give them credit for or think they are capable off.

They really do love their pet humans and know exactly how to manipulate us into doing what they want.

BTW this applies to blue tongue skink and other pet lizards too. Heck they haven't survived the dinosaurs for no reason....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
New & NoClue
Top Bottom