WARNING: Retained Shed on Tail Tip Can Be Very Dangerous!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Denise Bushnell (RIP)

Juvie Member
Retired Moderator
For those of you who have beardies who may have retained shed on the end of their tails, that has gotten really hard, I wanted to post this very important warning, and to share with you my recent experience with Ming, my oldest male beardie, who is now about 5-1/2. This information could save your beardie's life!

Ming has had some retained shed on about the last inch of his tail for about the last two months, which I've been trying to get off, by giving him frequent soaks, and applying Olive Oil or Aloe Vera gel to the area, daily. However, this dried skin was really stubborn, and about the last 1/2 inch of his tail had gotten really dry and hard, feeling almost like a piece of wood. Although I had been trying to treat it, I really wasn't worried too much about it, as its gotten like that before, and has eventually come off on its own, and never seemed to bother him.

However, this time was very different.....I came home from work one night about 2 weeks ago, to find that the end of Ming's tail had been terribly mangled, and was seeping blood in several places, wth some criss-cross cuts on it at the very end. Since there was nothing different in his tank, I had no idea how he sustained the injury, so I soaked the end of his tail in a diluted Betadyne solution, and applied some Neosporin to the end of it. By the next morning, the cuts had scabbed over, and it looked much better. I continued applying the Betadyne and Neosporin for the next couple of days, and it seemed to be healing.

The third night, I came home from work, and again found the end of his tail all ripped up and laid open. This time I checked everything in his tank for something sharp, and couldn't find anything in his tank that could have caused it. At this point, I began to realize that he must have been chewing at his tail himself, to get off the retained shed. I continued to give the Betadyne soaks, and to apply Neosporin to the end of his tail to prevent any infection.

By the time I came home from work the next day, on a Friday, the last 3/4 inch of his tail had become as hard as a rock, and was all shriveled up and dead. I could tell that that portion of his tail had become necrotic, due to the circulation being cut off from it from the cuts that he had sustained on his tail. I called his vet, but he was out of town and would be unable to see him until Monday. The vet who was covering for him, was not experienced in treating reptiles, and so, would not agree to see him. I also tried calling several other vets, and nearby Emergency Clinics, in an effort to have him seen, but was unable to find a vet that treated reptiles who would see him. After thoroughly examining his tail, I was able to determine where the good tissue ended and the dead flesh began, so I doused a pair of sharp scissors with the Betadyne and snipped off the necrotic portion of his tail. It did not hurt him, and he had no feeling in the end of it at all. He didn't even flinch. (NOTE: FOR THOSE OF YOU WHO ARE NOT EXPERIENCED KEEPERS, AND DO NOT HAVE ANY FORMAL MEDICAL OR FIRST AID TRAINING, DO NOT TRY THIS YOURSELF! If you misjudge on where to cut, your beardie could bleed to death, or you may hit bone! I have had some medical training, and the only reason I opted to do this was because I had no choice, since I couldn't locate a vet to see him, and I knew the infection would spread!)

The next morning, his tail looked much better and I continued with the Betadyne and Neosporin, but by that night, about the last inch of his tail had again turned necrotic. I was afraid to cut it again, for fear of hitting a blood vessel or bone, so I continued treatment with the Betadyne and Neosporin, and I prayed......a lot......at this point I knew that the infection could kill him.

On Monday morning, his vet arrived at his office to find me sitting on his doorstep with Ming, scared to death. His tail looked awful. The doctor had an office full of people, but told me to leave him, and he would examine him as soon as he could, and call me. He called me about 2 hours later, after doing blood work, and checking the wound, to tell me that the only way to save his life, at that point, was to amputate about 1/3 of his tail. The end of his tail was again necrotic, and gangrene was setting in. Luckily, he was very healthy, other than the wound, or the infection might have killed him.

I picked him up around 7:00 Monday night, once he had recovered from the anesthesia, and, although very groggy, he seemed much more comfortable. The vet was able to remove the portion of his tail with the infection, and also removed an inch and a half of healthy tissue as well, just to be sure he got it all. After the surgery, and once Ming was awake, the vet dissected the portion of his tail that he removed, in an effort to find out why he was mutilating himself. What he found, on the underside of Ming's tail, was the answer. He had a huge abscess from the lack of blood circulation and the infection, but the vet had never seen anything like it. Rather than the abscess being round, and bulging to the outside layer of scales, instead he found an oblong abscess, shaped rather like an earthworm, running the length of the damaged portion of his tail, next to the bone, which was full of pus and infection. His vet said that the pressure and pain from this must have been excrutiating, which was no doubt why he was biting at the end of his tail.
He was trying to break it, to release the pressure.

The entire procedure cost me nearly $400, and Ming was sent home with some liquid calcium and a 3 week supply of liquid Baytril to kill any infection that may have been working its way into his system. He is now doing very well, and is back to eating normally, although he's pouting because I had to remove most of his cage furniture to keep him from climbing and breaking open his incision (although he did get a furry bed to sleep in at night for being such a good boy!) LOL His tail is healing nicely, and he returns to the vet on May 11th to have his stitches removed. We were very lucky....things could have had a much different ending.....

I chose to share this with all of you, so that none of you will make the mistake that I did. If the end of your beardie's tail becomes dried out and hard, and feels somewhat like a piece of wood, get him to a vet to be checked as soon as possible, and if your beardie starts chewing on himself, anywhere, for no reason, you can be sure that THERE IS A REASON, even if YOU can't see it, so don't fool around with it....GET HIM TO A VET AS SOON AS POSSIBLE! If Ming's ordeal can save even one other beardie's life, it won't be in vain, because retained shed on their tail is nothing to fool with. I will never make that mistake again...it almost cost me the life of one of my best friends!

Niexist

Hey I am wondering, what is the cause of this, is it the retained shed, like should we try to force that last little bit off even if they resist? I would rather snap off a little tiny portion of tail than have this happen...

Denise Bushnell (RIP)

Juvie Member
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
Snapping off a bit of their tail is certainly not the answer....that will just cause an open wound which can get infected. I think the trick is that when you see their tail beginning to change color like its going to shed, you should begin to keep the skin at the tip of the tail moisturized right away, so that it comes of easily when its time for it to come off. After the shed has been on there for a while, it becomes drier and drier, and begins to shrink, and if it doesn't split and come off, because its too dry or too thick, it will eventually cut off the blood circulation to the tip of the tail, which is what starts the infection.

From now on, I plan to use some sort of moisturizer, such as Aloe Vera or Olive Oil on my beardie's tail tips, as soon as it looks like they may be beginning to shed their tail area. If you keep the tail tip moist, the shed should come off on its own.

munchkins9802

Gray-bearded Member
Thanks for the warning. Is the alore vera gel at the local drugstore? I night start using that everytime my daughters liard shed. I just looked at his tail tip and the last of the shed fell off. Keeping an eye on the one leg that looks like it was ready to shed 2 weeks ago (right after a full body shed). I told my daughtes if it looks weird or isnt off by 2 weeks fromnow he is going ot the vet just in case

fresnowitte

BD.org Sicko
Thanks for sharing your horrid experience with us Denise. You must have been beside yourself...reading your post I could feel your fear and frustration when you couldn't locate a vet to see Ming...how terrifying!
I can't even imagine having to do the snipping myself...bless your heart and bravery...and thank God for
your knowledge.

I'm very :D HAPPY :D to have read at the end of your story that Ming is okay....I was almost afraid to read this thread. Whew!

Ethelia

Extreme Poster
Thank you for sharing this with us.
What a scary couple of days that must have been.

I am however very confused as to what retained shed looks like on a dragon.
Is it possible someone could post a picture, or perhaps link me somewhere?
Ruben has a darkened end of his tail where it was bitted off, but he sheds every time without incident and the darkened tip remains, hense why Id like to see some retained shed so I can compair the two.

Holly

Jasper's Mom

BD.org Addict
Oh Denise! I'm so glad Ming is OK. This is an excellent reminder that retained shed is a major health issue that must be addressed. Give Ming lots of kisses for me.

jacqui778

Sub-Adult Member
Now you have me worried....

What did the tail tip look like?
The reason I ask is, the tip of Reggie's tail is shrivelled and black, and very hard. It didn't shed with the rest of his tail last month. It's been like this for a couple months now. He doesn't show any sign of irritation from it, doesn't chew it, but I know he can feel it because I squeezed it very gently, and he whacked me in the face with his tail. It doesn't seem to be spreading, doesn't seem to be doing anything, really, but worrying me.

-- Jacqui

Elora

Sub-Adult Member
Picture010.jpg

should i be worried about this? I cant get it off and its been there for 2 sheds. Some times it looks like the end of Stompy's tail is darker than the rest of his tail. Ever since skyler bit off the end of his tail he has had problems shedding there.

Goonie

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Oh my goodness! Even if I had the knowledge and/or experience, I don't think I would've been in the right state of mind to perform such a surgery. I would've been so distraught.

Denise, thank you so much for sharing what Ming had went through. I am so glad that he had gnawed on his own tail and that he's ok now. If he hadn't, you never would've known there was something wrong, aside from the normal retained shed.

haleygirl272

Sub-Adult Member
jacqui778":2efea said:
The reason I ask is, the tip of Reggie's tail is shrivelled and black, and very hard. It didn't shed with the rest of his tail last month. It's been like this for a couple months now.

That's usually what a necrotic tail looks like from what I understand. You really need to get him to the vet ASAP.

Denise Bushnell (RIP)

Juvie Member
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
Ethelia,

As long as the end of his tail feels, to the touch, like the normal scales on the rest of his body, there's nothing to worry about. A lot of beardies have retained shed sometimes that may take a while to come off. Using something to keep the scales moist, such as Aloe Vera gel (the natural sort...not anything which has added chemicals to it), Olive Oil, or even regular cooking oil, such as Crisco Oil is fine. There is also a product on the market called "Shed Ease" which works very well, although the manufacturer of it escapes me, at the moment.

Its only when the tail tip becomes very dried up and and hard that you need to worry. Feeling the end of a tail like that is like pinching a piece of dried up wood. When the tail tip gets like this, the blood circulation has been cut off to the end of the tail, and once that happens, having an infection develop is a very real possibility. The same thing applies to their toes, where retained shed can also be very dangerous.

With a case of retained shed that is becoming a threat to their health, how the area feels, to the touch, is much more important than the color of the end of the tail.

3cherries

Hatchling Member
Wow, thanks for the info and sorry we all have to learn thru ming.. but i am sure he can not be the only one and this will def help people know not to wait if they think something is wrong.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi Denise, thanks for posting this info for all the members here. I am SO happy that Ming is doing well now. I know how worried you were about your baby and rightly so. I think it's awesome how you sat on your vet's doorstep waiting for them to open up just knowing they couldn't possibly turn you and him away. Have to give you a :headbang: for that, you deserve it. I know how painful this experience was and how hard it must have been to put it all down in print, causing you to relive the nightmare. Thanks again for sharing your horrific ordeal, you've had more than your share of scary situations lately. :( Hope things are at least somewhat a little better for you and your family now. Thinking about you.

Diane

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoonBug
Top Bottom