Wants to Sleep All the Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

ofcourseilikepasta

Hatchling Member
Hey everybody!

So, I'm not really worried about this, more just curious I suppose, because Gary isn't acting like he doesn't feel well and he's eating great as always. But he always wants to sleep. Sometimes I'll turn his light on to wake him up, he'll bask just enough to warm up, and then he will go in his hide or try to go underneath his substrate and sleep (repticarpet/felt).

Even outside of his tank he just wants to sleep. He'll always run up to me and snuggle and hide his face or climb under my blanket. No matter what he just wants to sleep constantly.

Rundown of setup:
40gal tank, planning on a 55 gal or larger soon
125 watt heat lamp
reptisun 10.0 t8 long tube about 6 inches from him
Temps run around 100 on his basking spot, but our room can get hot on hot days and it might go up to 105
around 80 for the cool side but again, it can get hotter up there

Rundown on Gary Boy:
We think he was born in maybe mid July to mid August judging from his size when we got him from Petco, so he's probably around 10-11 months old right now
He's 21 3/4 inches long from nose to tip of tail
Dubia are his fave daily, with super worms as a treat every once in a while. He's got a great appetite
He's given collards and mustard greens daily but isn't great about eating them
Skinned grapes as a treat he loves them
Live food is always calcium dusted
We spray water directly into his mouth everyday unless he clearly isn't thirsty because he won't drink from a water bowl
He has regular and normal looking poops
He has pretty prominent femoral pores if that makes a difference, he's a big boy

He's really just great, in awesome health it seems to me, just wants to sleep all the time! Brumation sounds so odd considering he's still young, and it's summertime now! Just wondering if someone has some insight :)

84170-5091621694.jpg
Here's a recent pic of my loverboy for your enjoyment! :D

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
He looks pretty healthy. If he's still eating well and isn't losing weight then he's probably just in a lazy mood. They tend to go through phases like that so all things the same I'd expect him to perk up again after a while. Have you tried taking him outside for some natural sunlight? That may help perk him up too.

ofcourseilikepasta

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I try to take him out whenever it's warm out here, so I don't think that would be it. Could it be a hormonal thing? He just head bobbed for the first time the other day. Not aggressively, more like a communication thing, like he was trying to talk to me, I don't know haha. It was soooo cute. But then it made me think maybe he's going through beardie puberty! Hahaha

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Yeah it's possibly hormonal or maybe just a lull in his growth cycle that has him acting like that. He does look quite healthy from the photo though. Good weight and his arms & legs look well developed. Hopefully he'll be back to his old self soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nhacaiuytinco1
Top Bottom