Want to make custom rock, clueless.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raicardso

Like the title, I've been wanting to make a custom rock for my beardie for a couple weeks now. He's too big for his current one and i can't even find any bigger ones. So I've been wanting to make my own but i have no idea on materials or anything about it. It would be my first DIY project. Any help would be appreciated!

Almost everyone uses styrofoam ;) Multiple layers of grout will make it sturdy, don't worry!

Every layer needs to dry for about a day, so you'll be busy for at least 4 days haha.

Raicardso

Original Poster
Going to start my process today :)
Any idea best place to get materials?
Like michaels, home depot or something.

So i need the Styrofoam
sandless grout
And the sealant. Does the sealant have to be ordered online?

Raicardso":2ylqz3js said:
Going to start my process today :)
Any idea best place to get materials?
Like michaels, home depot or something.

And the sealant. Does the sealant have to be ordered online?

No, you can buy Mod Podge from Michael's. It makes a good sealant. But be careful about putting too much on at once. I made that mistake with my rocks and I have a few spots where it didn't dry perfectly clear.

Also, while you are at Michael's, pick up some sand. You can use it to give the rock a good grip surface. I also put a layer or 2 of mod podge over the sand to make sure they stay embedded onto the rock. Keeps the nice grip-able surface but you don't have to worry about the sand coming off so much. And don't forget to grab some acrylic paint (Michael's as well).

Here are the two rocks I made. The rock on the left is a 2part piece that acts as a cave. The top part is removable.
20130112_174859.jpg

This was taken after I put the first coat of base color to the rocks (red oxide). I've since added more color and detail along with the sealant and sand.

czuber

Hatchling Member
You can get Styrofoam from Lowes or Home Depot Pretty cheap. You can get it in a 2x4 pack of 4 easy to transport. I did get a 8 ' piece and paid like a 1.00 to have them cut it into 4 2x4 pieces

morphmom

BD.org Addict
Styrofoam is the very best for caves and structure but if you're looking for a very basic basking rock, I'd like to suggest Salt Dough. It's just equal parts flour and salt with enough wanter added to make a "play dough" like consistency. You bake it at about 205 degrees until stable, then let it air dry the rest of the way. Myah really loves hers and it was only a few dollars to make :D

100_2800_zps6b8c2b8e.jpg

100_2802_zpsc908c376.jpg

100_2832_zps2e30796d.jpg

(I woke her up with the camera :wink: )

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lunalane827
Top Bottom