Want to build a 4x3x3 enclosure, would love some tips!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MissCutiePatootie

Hatchling Member
So, I'm in the middle of designing my boy Malachi a new 4x3x3 home. (Possibly slightly longer if I find the space?) I'm drawing up a rough draft of what I want it to be like and I'll post it either in this thread or a new one soon. This is just the start of my rough draft for those who want to see. https://i.imgur.com/HvIy3nn.png I haven't added much detail to the drawing yet but I'm aiming to make everything reversible/interchangeable and removable while keeping stability and it be visually appealing when removed.

His heat lamps will sit on top of the screen above the second level and maybe a secondary heat light above the third level. I'll mount his UVB fluorescent fixture on the inside of the screen closer to the middle of the tank too as I want this fixture to be easily removable when I take him places with me for more than a day.

So far my idea is to provide multiple levels for exercise (probably 3). I want to make the middle level for basking/UVB. The bottom level for his hides, garden and dig box (maybe just one on one side). The top for his food dish maybe? I was thinking about cutting a hole in the top level fit for the food dish to sit inside so he can't knock it around. My concern with this is he won't think to go to the top for his food though and might discourage him more than enrich his life lol.
So my second idea for the top level (leaning towards this one a lot) is to provide a second basking spot that has no UVB and give him more options for basking. Plus it might help the overall ambient temperature. Won't know for sure until it's made.

I'm still looking for more enrichment ideas. Malachi is let out of his enclosure every day for a few hours but I want his home to be entertaining to him too. All enrichment ideas are welcome! Would love to see photos of other people's setups for inspiration or any tips/ideas on building. For example what to do to prevent the top from bowing in the middle. I seen one suggestion was to use a support bracket to help support the top to keep it visually appealing and open.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That will be a nice big space for him. I'm sure he will enjoy it. You may find that a dig box and garden get quite messy. You might consider putting in a bioactive substrate on the bottom with proper drainage and cleaner crew bugs that you can cover with leaf litter so it doesn't get everywhere. These guys are pretty good at tearing up plants and loose things in the tank. If you use a T5 grow light fixture for your UVB you can hang it from a wire or from hooks which will make it removable. When I travel I just bring a mercury vapor bulb in a dome fixture on an adjustable stand and that works really well. For some ideas on how to configure the tank I'd take a look at the one Taterbug built as a good example https://sites.google.com/site/thelizardmadness/photogradient

MissCutiePatootie

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thanks for responding Cooper! I have seen and really like what Tater has done with their setup and it has inspired me to make a similar setup. I have it all planned out in my head pretty much, just need to draw and write it up now. I'm thinking about just sticking with one part for growing plants and a dig site instead of two now just to have more clean floor space. I'll alternate between the two.

I've had herbs in my boys tank before to see how he liked them so I know what you mean by the trampling haha! What I want to do is grow a good bunch of dandelions in there for him to trample or eat. I don't really care much. I just want to provide as many options as I can for freedom of choice. I'm fine with what he chooses to do with them lol.

I've thought about doing a bioactive setup many many times! I don't know if I'm ready to make one though. I like the clean look and the ease of keeping it sterile if my boy falls ill or has a parasitic overload. But maybe someday I'll do it.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Bioactive does take a bit of work to get set up and requires more space but is pretty good when done well. If I had the space for it in my apartment I'd probably go that route but since my tank is small (exo terra 36x18x18) I use a tile floor that is easy to clean and fleece blankets which just go in the washer as needed and offer enrichment by setting up lamps around the house and give him free range when I'm home. I think bioactive and a large tank is good when they are in their tank most of the time though for sure.

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
Pepper is always at the top of his cage, or as close as he can get. I wouldn’t worry about your dragon using it as long as you have furnishings that are comfortable for them to use. For a large cage the penplax rope ladders are great.

If you think you might ever consider bioactive, build your enclosure that way now; take it from me conversion is a pain. Consider the extra 6-8” for substrate and a well sealed interior. You don’t need to utilize it, but you’ll thank yourself later if you go that route. Rebuilding my enclosure and knowing what I do know I would just suck it up and use an epoxy finish on the inside to seal it up good. Also, I love bioactive, but I just moved all four of my enclosures the other day.... and it’s sooooo heavy, lol.

I’d also make your enclosure versatile to change up. It gives you more options for furnishings and changing things up down the road, which is also a good form of enrichment. I hang light sockets from hooks in the ceiling, no hard mounted ones so when I move furniture I can move the lights exactly where I want them.

3’ is probably going to be too far away for plants to be happy, depending on what you grow you may want some supplemental lighting within 12” or so, depending on how well it grows.

MissCutiePatootie

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Hey Tater! Glad to see your post as well!

Thanks for the tips! I'm new to everything that is building so excuse my ignorance with these things lol.. What's the difference between the epoxy sealants and other sealants? I was also just looking at woods and I think I've settled on using red oak wood unless I find something wrong with it.

I've been having lots of fun thinking of ideas for the enclosure. I don't think I'm going to go for the bioactive option anytime soon although I love the idea of it and I probably wouldn't mind building an entirely new enclosure for it should I decide to go that route in the future.

I do plan to provide different UVB sources and temperature gradients for him to choose from and a secondary basking spot with no UVB. What I want to do with this build is make it have a warm, modern contemporary look with lots of features designed for my boys entertainment. I might even make a spot mounted on the back wall to slip one of my old smart phones in to play youtube videos for him since he likes watching videos with me on my phone in bed lol. I want to use tile for the bottom and possibly on the sides or back as an accent wall. Maybe create a little salad bar and have it be like a kitchen area haha! He will have his own private bedroom with his fancy chase lounge and pillows inside. I'm also considering making a small area that the view is obstructed but if he goes to it he will find his reflection in a removable mirror. I want to provide him with climbing opportunities as well so I may place some material for him to grip onto against the walls if I see him trying to scale it.

And yes, that was my plan to make everything versatile. One of the things I've been stumped on is how to secure the levels while maintaining an open space and it being removable without leaving any braces or holes behind. I may play around and test some industrial strength suction cups and industrial strength magnets to see if they hold up well for what I want. I may consider suspending the levels from the roof if I can find a way to make it aesthetically pleasing too.

I figured since dandelion grows pretty much anywhere and everywhere it would grow fine. I was thinking about putting in some LED lights for the plants but eh.. I feel like they will grow fine if they aren't trampled and eaten first but Idk. I haven't grown much of anything yet. Just mustard greens and dandelions so far. I got some endive, escarole and chicory I want to plant too. Working on a garden outside now so hopefully by next year at the latest I will have a good supply!

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
Epoxy is a two part formula, you mix up the two and it chemically hardens. It’s very similar to the resin used in fiberglass. It is more expensive but the chemical reaction makes a much harder and more durable finish than polyurethane or similar. I recommend something hard if you plan on doing bioactive, since it can be nerve wracking imagining you have goughed the sealer and made it leak. If you think you will build a new enclosure then a regular polyurethane, given plenty of time (1-2wks) to cure would be fine.

I don’t like hard points in my enclosure since I don’t want holes if I move it so I just use logs instead of platforms. Cork bark is fantastic if you can find big hunks of it. It’s grupoy enough to be a nearly vertical climbing surface.
Otherwise maybe look at the adjustable shelving departments at the big box stores or use L brackets.

I’d say give the plants a shot how you are envision it, but be ready with back up lighting. Greens are “full sun” and sunlight is many many times brighter than artificial lights. My solution was to grow greens to about 3-4” and just keep them in swap out pots.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lunalane827
Top Bottom