Walking Your Beardie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ghoul

Hi guys!
I was wondering if anyone has any advice for walking your bearded dragon. I've done a lot of reading online on other sites, but it's nice to hear from people who definitely have experience with their own pets that they care a lot about. She has her leash and harness, is about a year old, and we have a nice park nearby with lots of sunlight that would be perfect for her. Any extra tips I should know?

...on an unrelated note, does anyone know how to get your beardie to poop in the same place each time?!

Mysty

Juvie Member
It depends on whether your beardie stays on your chest or not. Personally, I wouldnt 'walk' a beardie on the grass/floor outside because of cat, dog urine and other nasties.

As for taking them outside I have two beardies. Steve wears a homemade harness with a 'lead' attached to my belt. He likes to sit on my chest or shoulder to observe the world while outside and is a bit lost if we set him down on a tea towel.

My second dragon, Robert, is far more flighty and can get out of a harness. He is also prone to jumping or running without warning. We wouldn't deem it safe to take him out without taking him in a carrier and using something like a collapsible pen which he could stay in at our destination.

So yeah, it depends. Test any harness at home first including whether it holds if beardie was to jump from your body.

If like Robert your beardie just hates a harness, I wouldn't try to force things.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
It's a bearded dragon , it's not a dog. No WALKIES . These will likely be very stressful to your bearded dragon and dangerous too.
Better off leaving the beardie AT HOME in his nice safe and secure viv , as he will not enjoy the outing like a dog will.

Mysty

Juvie Member
I think it depends on the beardie.

Sure, a beardie will not enjoy an outing the same way in which a dog does. However, one of my beardies does seem to enjoy being taken outside. (We have no garden bit have a park around the corner.)

He stays on my chest/shoulder wearing a tested, handmade harness and is very 'bright' and alert when we take him out on sunny days.

My other beardie does not settle well and tries to slip a harness, so we don't walk him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lunalane827
Top Bottom