Vomiting bearded dragon

Status
Not open for further replies.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Bene-bac for reptiles and birds works very well. Acidophiluz+ is also a good choice for probiotic.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is great news Zhu has not thrown up anymore. As suggested, the antibiotics can upset their system but will also affect the appetite. Probiotics work very well for them.
How are his colors, is he active & basking too?

Tracie

SDragon

Juvie Member
Definitely get the probiotic. Both the vomiting and AB swill have damaged the gut flora. If he is a healthy weight I'd not force food on him, it's good to take it slow when he does start to eat. Does he eat veg?

Did the vet explain what he thought the problem might be and what the ABs were for? Which one is it?

Really glad he's stopped vomiting, it must have been horrible to witness. (I recently had norovirus, so have a huge amount of empathy for the little chap)

SophieRobinsonx

Original Poster
Thank you everyone for the replies :)
The vet think it was a pack of bad bugs from pets at home, weve had bugs from there before & all the bugs turn bright red a die after a day or two so not going there again.
Hes basking all day but hes beard is still black.
Hes quite scared of us at the minute because were having to open hes mouth to get the antibiotics in.
Hes finally having a full nights sleep under hes wooden house & likes to come out first thing in the morning which is nice because it looks like he's deffinatly getting better.
Just want him to eat :)

SophieRobinsonx

Original Poster
Its been 9 days since this sickness started, hes on hes 7th day of antibiotics & he still hasnt eaten. Hes refusing everything i offer. Hes also keeps hes mouth open alot, looking like hes struggling to breath if we put our hands in the viv. :S hes a better colour & the sickness gas stopped but is that just because he wont eat? Also, the calci sand is new for him, he had normal sand all hes life but we switched to calci sand 2 months ago, it seems really dusty, is this causing the breathing issue? Thank you for your help

SophieRobinsonx

Original Poster
No i havnt :S tomorrow is my first day off in 7 days so ill be able to call a vet in the morning for advice, clear out the calci sand & try and feed him. How do the probiotics work?

SDragon

Juvie Member
They replace the natural 'good' bacteria which he will have lost. others have used additive free soy yogurt (it can't be dairy) that might actually be a good idea on this occasion as a way of getting some thing into him. Make sure it is probiotic though.

Are you making sure he is getting fluids?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I am sorry your dragon hasn't been eating, that is a very common issue when on antibiotics.
I hope you are able to find some tomorrow. As suggested, be sure to get non dairy soy yogurt, if you do get some at the store.
You can try going to the health food store & they should have acidophiliz there also you could get.
I would definitely remove the sand, it is a bit dusty & can contribute to respiratory issues, too. You can just use tiles, non adhesive shelf liner or paper towels.
Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

SDragon

Juvie Member
Will he lick it off his snout?

If not very gently pull the side of his lip down and dab a bit in there. How is he in himself other than appetite? Is he losing any weight?

What about hydration?

SophieRobinsonx

Original Poster
Last week he was in a horrible state, hes deffinatly improved on the antibiotics but hes still not better. Hes colours are better & hes shedding quite alot (still black beard most of the time) Im about to give him a bath, i spray him with mist & drip water on hes mouth daily, somedays he doesn't want it but somedays he licks it. Hes no longer scared of me or jumpy :)
Sometimes i look at him and hes eyes are half shut he looks very tired, with hes mouth open too so i really want him to eat maybe it'll perk him up? But then, as im writing this hes wondering around hes viv looking at me tapping the glass with his nose to come out like he used too! So im so confused!

SDragon

Juvie Member
I'd keep up the dripping water on to his nose, I personally would probably do this over bathing an unwell animal. But there are different perspectives on bathing.

If you can get him to lick the probiotic soy yogurt off his nose or lip then it might be worth making some squash purée and trying the same.

Glad he is improving, I hope that continues.

SophieRobinsonx

Original Poster
Hi everyone :) another update, Zhu has an infection in hes throat so more antibiotics for 2 weeks, still hasnt eaten but vet isnt too worried, fecal sample result came back & he also has pin worms.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hseith
Top Bottom