Vivarium not getting hot enough?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We recently moved one of my beardies into a brand new 4ft x 2ft vivarium bought from a pet shop. The viv came with an accessory pack which contained a double lighting unit, two UV bulbs, a basking bulb, heat lamp, and two thermometers.

This particular beardie was taken from owners who kept her in a converted cabinet unit, which didn’t have much space for her to move, and her temperatures never went above 89 Fahrenheit. We’ve moved her into the new tank, but even so her temperatures still aren’t reaching any higher than 91.4 in the basking spot and 84 elsewhere in the tank.

We physically can’t get the basking spot any closer to the bulb. The heat bulbs we’re using are 100 watt, and I was wondering if it’s advisable to get a bulb with a higher wattage- pet shops have told us they don’t stock anything above 100 watts because it’s not recommended, but I know people on here have said that pet shops don’t always have the best advice when it comes to reptiles.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
You are right about that pet shop not knowing what they are talking about -- please post a pic of the tank set up all those bulbs sound too much --- the UVB's are what ? Brand and bulb? If they are coil they are NO good - what size is the tank and most important how are you taking the temps in the tank ? If they are stick ons they are inaccurate-- you need a digital probe and / or a infrared heat gun - that can be purchased at your local home improvement store for around $10-12 --
https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ click on XIMG at the top of the message box then click on the pic it should post -- please post so we can sort it out -- she should be having basking temps of 95-110 and cool side of the tank 80--
Karrie

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
I agree something doesn't sound right, and pics may help.
I get basking temps over 100F with a 75W incandescent flood.
The rest of the temps sound OK though.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
My first suspicion would be what you are measuring your temperatures with.

Can you post a picture of your setup?

It is true though, all setups are different. I personally get away with a single 40w bulb in my 4x2x2s, while others on here have to use bulbs that are 150w. So many variables, that's why having a proper thermometer is important, and finding what works for your specific setup.

-Brandon

beaniethebeardie

Original Poster
KarrieRee":3cntiuiq said:
You are right about that pet shop not knowing what they are talking about -- please post a pic of the tank set up all those bulbs sound too much --- the UVB's are what ? Brand and bulb? If they are coil they are NO good - what size is the tank and most important how are you taking the temps in the tank ? If they are stick ons they are inaccurate-- you need a digital probe and / or a infrared heat gun - that can be purchased at your local home improvement store for around $10-12 --
https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ click on XIMG at the top of the message box then click on the pic it should post -- please post so we can sort it out -- she should be having basking temps of 95-110 and cool side of the tank 80--
Karrie

Sorry about the delay, I've been unwell recently and unable to get to my computer. I've taken some pictures of her set up for you below- it's a bit bare at the moment because she's only just been moved into it. I'm going to take you guys' advice and replace her thermometers for some more reliable ones as soon as possible.

This is her set up as it stands:
105609-4852133938.jpg
In the photograph, the basking lamp is directly above the shelf on the right side of the tank. There's probably about 15-20cm between the shelf and the mesh. I've put a rock there for her to climb closer to the lamp as you can see, but that's as close as I can get her without her touching the mesh/burning herself. I've also put her bed up there too, she likes having something soft to sleep on. I have one thermometer on that side of the tank, and another beneath the shelf on the left hand side of the viv. The heat sensor attached to her thermostat runs directly down the back wall in the exact middle of the tank, you can see it a little between the shelves.

I bought an accessory pack alongside the vivarium, bought from the same pet shop. Aside from the thermometers, the pack contained an Exo Terra Double Light Unit Controller and the two UVs I mentioned above.
105609-6356715043.jpg
Both of the bulbs are Exo Terra, and are tubes not coils. The one at the back is a desert lamp, a 25 watt, 75cm/30" Reptile UVB 150. The one at the front is a 25watt natural light bulb of the same size/length.

We bought a basking bulb that is 150w, but the highest her temps have been since then is 87.1, which was a one-off. She's been moving around on both the warm and cooler side more recently, I think because she's getting used to the tank. I'm going to a reptile store tomorrow to see if they sell bulbs of a higher wattage, and also to see about a more reliable tool for measuring the temperature.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Your UVB needs a reflector ---- sitting where it is shes not getting any or very little UVB --- if you want to keep the UVB w/ no reflector I suggest you move it over head and approx 4-6 inches from basking decor-- as far as temps I would get a digital probe thermometer and set it on her basking decor piece for 10 minutes -- in the mean time I would get your UVB situated --- how long has she been w/ out the UVB?
Karrie

beaniethebeardie

Original Poster
KarrieRee":1lfr5rc0 said:
Your UVB needs a reflector ---- sitting where it is shes not getting any or very little UVB --- if you want to keep the UVB w/ no reflector I suggest you move it over head and approx 4-6 inches from basking decor-- as far as temps I would get a digital probe thermometer and set it on her basking decor piece for 10 minutes -- in the mean time I would get your UVB situated --- how long has she been w/ out the UVB?
Karrie

It’s been that way since the original post, so nearly 4 weeks. Her basking bulb has UVA but not UVB.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok I am talking about the UVB tube on the back wall - she's basically had no UVB for the past 4 weeks-- it needs to come off that back wall placed directly over her approx 4-6 inches from basking decor or get a fixture w/ reflector and placed 12-15 inches from basking decor-- for a T 5- for a T 8 8-10 inches
Karrie

beaniethebeardie

Original Poster
KarrieRee":3soed979 said:
Ok I am talking about the UVB tube on the back wall - she's basically had no UVB for the past 4 weeks-- it needs to come off that back wall placed directly over her approx 4-6 inches from basking decor or get a fixture w/ reflector and placed 12-15 inches from basking decor-- for a T 5- for a T 8 8-10 inches
Karrie

I didn’t realise she wasn’t getting any UVB there! Will she be okay?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Not without it being corrected- she needs that fixed ASAP- you can take her outside 65+ degrees sit w/ her on you for 15 minutes direct sunlight or longer or place her in a plastic tote NO glass - in partial shade/ direct sunlight for 15 minutes no longer you don't want to burn her up-- that will equal out to 4 hrs of UVB--
Karrie

beaniethebeardie

Original Poster
KarrieRee":18clknw4 said:
Not without it being corrected- she needs that fixed ASAP- you can take her outside 65+ degrees sit w/ her on you for 15 minutes direct sunlight or longer or place her in a plastic tote NO glass - in partial shade/ direct sunlight for 15 minutes no longer you don't want to burn her up-- that will equal out to 4 hrs of UVB--
Karrie

I have switched her UVBs over ready for when they turn on tomorrow morning. For the temperature, I have a spare bulb holder and 50watt bulb, so I might pick up another thermostat and use a secondary bulb to warm it up a bit- does that sound like a good idea? Should I also get her an emergency vet appointment seeing as she’s been without the UVB for so long?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Only if she's sick- is she eating? Is she pooping? Is she basking? If she's still doing all that she should be ok-- you want her basking temps 95-110 taken w/ a digital probe thermometer-- the probe needs to be placed on the spot where she sits for basking--- so the shelf cannot be moved it's permanent? I don't recommend permanent decor pieces simply because you cannot adjust for temps- it's easier to have decor moveable- so if you need to add another bulb or increase the wattage w/ another bulb--- but make sure you have a digital probe- you don't want to burn her up-- also a good piece of decor like a piece from petsmart or Petco will offer that---- PetSmart has nice decor for dragons
Karrie

beaniethebeardie

Original Poster
KarrieRee":absau0a6 said:
Only if she's sick- is she eating? Is she pooping? Is she basking? If she's still doing all that she should be ok-- you want her basking temps 95-110 taken w/ a digital probe thermometer-- the probe needs to be placed on the spot where she sits for basking--- so the shelf cannot be moved it's permanent? I don't recommend permanent decor pieces simply because you cannot adjust for temps- it's easier to have decor moveable- so if you need to add another bulb or increase the wattage w/ another bulb--- but make sure you have a digital probe- you don't want to burn her up-- also a good piece of decor like a piece from petsmart or Petco will offer that---- PetSmart has nice decor for dragons
Karrie

She barely eats veggies, she’s always been like that. She’ll eat a few but not much. The vet said she was just a picky eater, and checked her weight which was fine. In the past few days, her appetite has decreased and she’ll only eat a few bugs at a time. We put this down to moving her into a new tank with new decor, and also maybe because she’s shedding around her face.

She hasn’t pooped in over two weeks, but my other beardie (who’s healthy) poops once every two ish weeks, so I wasn’t too sure. She’s never been very active, I think because she’s never had the right set up, but she’ll move around on her climbing spots. I’ve also never seen her bask, not once- she’ll occasionally wander over to a warmer spot but she’ll never get close to her lamp like my other beardie does. We’ve put her behaviour for the past week down to moving her into a new tank with new decor- she seemed quite sulky for a while and hid herself away, although for the past two days she’s been out and about. She seems to cheer up when she comes out of the tank.

The shelves are unfortunately permanent- I looked for a viv without but they had a very limited reptile section, and it was urgent that I got her out of her other living conditions as soon as possible.

She is due to have her nails cut so I think I’ll book her an appointment with the vet anyway.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Do you offer any type of worms to lure her to the salad bowl - some are so finicky and will not eat greens at all and some will gobble them down like no tomorrow - and yes relocation stress will effect their eating - but her UVB will also contribute to not eating as well --- its good shes eating some veggies but her appetite should increase w/ better UVB exposure --- adding a reflector would increase the intensity of the UVB rays -- and for pooping it is not uncommon for them to go long periods of time what ever you do at the vets DO NOT LET THEM GIVE HER AN EMEMA!! It could kill her - if she needs to go she will w/ help of natural laxatives like baby food prunes baby food squash mixed w a little olive oil and a little honey for taste - also unsweetened applesauce as well --- but NO enemas!!!
viewtopic.php?f=45&t=252267
Karrie

beaniethebeardie

Original Poster
KarrieRee":1q7vgs5r said:
Do you offer any type of worms to lure her to the salad bowl - some are so finicky and will not eat greens at all and some will gobble them down like no tomorrow - and yes relocation stress will effect their eating - but her UVB will also contribute to not eating as well --- its good shes eating some veggies but her appetite should increase w/ better UVB exposure --- adding a reflector would increase the intensity of the UVB rays -- and for pooping it is not uncommon for them to go long periods of time what ever you do at the vets DO NOT LET THEM GIVE HER AN EMEMA!! It could kill her - if she needs to go she will w/ help of natural laxatives like baby food prunes baby food squash mixed w a little olive oil and a little honey for taste - also unsweetened applesauce as well --- but NO enemas!!!
viewtopic.php?f=45&t=252267
Karrie

I’ve tried using Morio worms, her favourite treat, to coax her to the salad, but if they go anywhere near the bowl, she won’t have any of it. Her previous owners didn’t give her anything besides crickets, no greens at all. She has the occasional nibble though. I dust her bugs with calcium powder whenever she has them too.

I’ve heard a lot on this site about vets and enemas- I’d never let them, don’t worry!! How would I get her to eat the prunes and squash baby food?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stocam01
Top Bottom