Viv, stand and rockwall build log. Lots of pics.

Status
Not open for further replies.

UtiGrad2B

I am building a cage for my 4 month old beardie Pogo and I just had a few questions. I know you are supposed to seal the wood but i am g oing to put in slate tiles on the floor and build a 3 sided rock wall so do I need to seal the wood that those will be covering? Also im going to paint the underside of the top and than the rest will be stained. So the parts that arent gonna be stained do i need to seal before I paint tile and grout? and for the parts that Im staining can I seal those after the staining is done? Also whats a good sealer to use? Another questions I have is I see some cages with a cactus plant in them is that ok to do? Are they any other plants you can put in there? I dont have any pictures yet but pictures will be soon to come.

larry

Hatchling Member
if you use melamine it´s not that necesary to seal, it´s a good wood for desertic terrariums of low humidity. if you´re using some other kind of wood you´ll have to seal everything, no matter if you cover some part of it.
i used cactus in the past ( allways some kind that i knew it wouldn´t hurt them ) but for my experiences it didn´t work because if the dragons did´n eat them they stumbled on the cactus and literaly destroyed them. you can use a fake one if you still want one in your viv.

UtiGrad2B

Original Poster
im using plywood for everything ive got the basic stand and tank built, for the stain on the outside do i seal it after i stain or before?

JeffSimpson

Juvie Member
UtiGrad2B":364f5 said:
im using plywood for everything ive got the basic stand and tank built, for the stain on the outside do i seal it after i stain or before?

Definitely stain before you seal, otherwise the stain won't be able to absorb into the wood.

UtiGrad2B

Original Poster
Have a few questions on heating and lighting. I am going to purchase a twin bulb halogen fixture for the basking spots and a 36" t8 uvb ( if i can find a 36" fixture) Would I need supplemental lighting for viewing him? Just like a regular flourescent? Whats a good wattage on the halogen basking lights and should I use flood or spot lights? Also, I am trying to find a good deal on a couple digital thermometers with the temp probes for hot/cool side monitoring. Any good models to go with? Would I need a thermostat for my lights or is a basic timer sufficient enough for them?

UtiGrad2B

Original Poster
is thompson water sealer sufficient enough for sealing the inside of my cage? all the wood will be covered but you say to seal it anyways. Also I am having trouble finding a 36" t8 fixture for the reptisun 10.0 would a t12 bulb be ok inside the cage isntead of a t8?

kevindeeley12

Juvie Member
Try finding a t5, i believe that is what the Repti Sun's are, thats what you want, not repti-glo (the reptisun is either t12 or t5, I'm getting confused on them, sorry :p, they are the fatter bulbs then t8's.)

And mod podge works for sealing it, thats what I did, it takes some time cause you have to put a few layers. It is fully see through though, which is nice. You can buy the Mod Podge at walmart in the craft section and many other places, get the gloss obviously, not the Matte. Hope this helped.

kevindeeley12

Juvie Member
WOW DID THEY FINALLY UPGRADE THEM!?!?!? WOW, I spent like 2 days trying to find a t12 fixture and finally found 1 at the Habitat for Humanity Re-Store lol. Wow our petstores must be hurtin, all they have is the t12's..... I'm glad they ugrade them tho. Easier to find fixtures for big time.

UtiGrad2B

Original Poster
Well here are a few pictures that I got on my phone from the beginning of the build.

This is where it all started 2ft X4ft and 2ftx2ft sheets of plywood I had home depot cut for free (They weren't perfect but IT save me the time)

media2.jpg

Cage built with 1x3 pine frame and starting of the stand/cabinet (no floor in it yet)

media5.jpg

Cage in same state but cabinet now has doors cut and floor installed

media1.jpg

Did some more work on the cage and got the vents cut.

media3.jpg

Got the cabinet pretty much finished up with the moulding and the hidden hinges and magnetic latches.

media4.jpg

LEt me know what you all think.

larry

Hatchling Member
Hey You´re doing a great job! I didn know what playwood meantn before i saw the picture.. everyday learning something new.. Yes as you were told you´ll have to stain it all before sealing and seal well every corner.

UtiGrad2B

Original Poster
I was reading on the enclosure forum about lighting and everything I read says that the reptisun 10.0 uvb tube is the best uvb light out there. I also picked up on a couple posts that people use the arcadia 12%. Which one of these two is better. The reptisun gives of 10% uvb and the arcadia gives off 12% but which is better overall?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J.sobrero
Top Bottom