Viv Setup/Proper Feeding 4 optimal growth/health

Status
Not open for further replies.
We are very new with our beardie baby 'Jeffrey', and are getting a lot of mixed info., after finding this awesome site and reading discussions, articles, and ect. kinda regretting going with Petsmart to get started.

So not so sure how old he is or the proper way to be measuring him.

So the set up we have now is the Zilla-Basic Desert Kit
-10g glass terrarium
-reptile carpet
-1 humidity/temp gauge
-2 5.5" reflector dome fixtures (1 w/50 watt day white light, 1 w/50 watt night black light)
We bought an extra Flucker's Mini Sun Dome (5.5" dome w/26w ReptiGlo 10.0 compact UVB

Of course we have a water bowl, food bowl, hollow log for hiding, branch for climbing/basking.

We are feeding him small crickets(not sure how often I should be using the calcium coating), with veggies we've tried(referring to the beautiful dragon nutrition chart) mustard greens, romaine lettuce, bell pepper, and yellow squash; though he's only really showed a liking to the mustard greens and bell pepper.

Also have noticed alot on here about bathing... They didn't tell us anything about that at the store...so at total zero on the know-how, what we need, or how often, do they need to be a certain age or size...?

We may have gone the wrong route getting started and should've really studied up first hand, but now Jeffrey is a part of the family and we want to make sure we are taking care of him properly, as well as giving him the best opportunity to grow.

Jess

Extreme Poster
Well, at least Petsmart didn't give you sand! :D

For lighting information, click the link in my signature that says "Lighting Help for Newbies". That should get you started, since it sounds like the lighting in the main thing you need to fix. :wink:

Use calcium 5 times a week, and vitamins 2 times a week.

And yup, bathing is good for any age, although most babies don't like it very much LOL!

Cnochur

Hatchling Member
1. If that UV bulb is a compact, twisty-looking kind, get rid of it. The long tube bulbs will give them the UV they need without burning their eyes. If that's what you have, you're good.
2.Stick-on thermometer? Throw it away. It's likely to be off by up to 20 degrees. You need TWO good thermometers (Lowe's has great digital probe thermometers with humidity readings for like 7 bucks, with wire probes that you can stick inside the tank). Be sure that the hot spot is 100-115 and the OTHER side of the tank is 75-85. They need that kind of temperature gradient to regulate their body temps.
3.No need for a water bowl. It will only increase the humidity in the tank, which is bad. Bathe and mist him/her and she'll never need to resort to drinking like mammals do.
4.Start saving up for at least a 40 gallon tank. That 10 isn't gonna last you more than a couple months, and they need room to stay healthy and active. She'll be a foot long before you know it.
5. Make sure never to feed her too soon after her day lights have gone on, or too close to when they go off. They need to heat themselves up in order to digest properly, and if they eat less than an hour before lights out, they'll just spend the night with undigested cricket in their sensitive little stomachs. Most unpleasant.
6. Speaking of which, make sure there's NEVER crickets in the tank after lights out. They'll eat HIM. Seriously.
7.Never under any circumstances listen to a person who works at a chain pet store.

PaigeBeardieLover

Original Poster
Wow, thank you guys so much! Now to put your advice in action!

One more question, I only have Internet through my iPhone and cannot post pics on here, tried everything!

MarleyMoe

Hatchling Member
When you do give the a bath only have it as deep as their armpits i believe, and as mentioned previously keep a very close eye on them.

Enjoy your new baby and this place is imo the best for advice (yes i keep saying it but its true :p)

PaigeBeardieLover

Original Poster
Would it be possible to get a better idea of exactly the bulbs I should be using, what do the tube bulbs look like? It's so confusing, there are so many different bulbs...and it's just not getting hot enough on his day side.

Jess

Extreme Poster
The UVB bulbs, or the basking bulbs?

The UVB bulbs should look like this:
Reptisun10.0__46154_zoom.jpg

21qurHzzfOL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

You should NOT get this one:
!B5p-TRQBmk~$(KGrHqJ,!hwEycbhB1UFBMugqpBQtQ~~_35.JPG

For basking lights, any regular light bulb is fine. Flood lights and halogen lights work really well, and you can use reptile basking lights too if you want.

Delshara

Hatchling Member
Petco has a $1/gallon sale going on right now. You could pick up a 40 gallon breeder for comparatively cheap and put a divider in it for your baby. The 10 gallon wouldn't have to go to waste since you could use it as a feeding tank or to breed feeder roaches.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom