Viv help

Status
Not open for further replies.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Yeah that should do for the basking light unless you want it on a dimmer. You might want one with a ceramic base for a CHE since they get so hot.

NBGwen

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Carl
I've been looking up dimmers. Not sure how they would work with the basking light or CHE... I see there are thermostats to control temp, but again, not sure how they work with a light/CHE that isn't dimmable? I have a digital gun reader to get accurate temps. I'll be sure to test out the basking area before allowing him in it. And yes, I'm going to just put a low platform for him to bask on - I'll put his favourite tree on the cool side (that's the one he uses most lately anyway lol). I want to make the enclosure as fun and inviting for him as I can - I don't want it too bare for him, but I feel like putting rock outcrops or anything like that will take too much space away.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
They won't work with bulbs that aren't dimmable. Halogens and CHEs can be dimmed though. Manual dimmers are just a slider switch or knob to cut power to the bulb and reduce output. Thermostats do this automatically as a reaction to a temperature reading from an attached probe.

NBGwen

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Carl
Ah ok. I'm using the Exo Terra intense basking light right now - I want to say it's 100w but can't remember if I got the 100 or 150. I'm assuming they would not be halogen (sorry, major brain fog from my MS and I can't seem to locate a halogen basking light in my region :? )

NBGwen

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Carl
I found the Exo Terra site and for the height Charlie will have in his enclosure, I'm thinking a 50 w halogen basking bulb will more than suffice. There's only 16.5 inches of height and it reaches 122 f at 4 inches... I'll definitely test run the temps before he goes anywhere near it.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I haven't used those but I've had the ZooMed equivalent on a dimmer. It makes a humming noise and doesn't really work so well. The halogen flood lights are probably available at a hardware store rather than a pet store.

NBGwen

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Carl
Would they put out the same heat? I see the Zilla mini-halogen light and fixture - I'm debating trying that out, but I'm so undecided.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
The ones I use put out a good amount of heat. You may need to try some different wattages to find out what works best in your setup. I'd start with a 65w equivalent and move up from there. I use a 90w equivalent and it works well at fairly long distances. It may be too powerful for a wooden setup which is likely to retain heat much better than my open top glass enclosure.

NBGwen

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Carl
Thanks for the advice! I will try that first and see how it goes :)

NBGwen

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Carl
So i am testing out lights...75 w halogen WAY too powerful..50 w Halogen...temps on the ceramic were reading 140 to 150 f. Going to.see if I can find a 25w. I'm wondering if anyone else has had a short space rhat they used and if anyone ever tried nano bulbs and/or CHEs. I do believe that this enclosure will suit Charlie so much better. I just need the temps to be good. I'm not worried about the cool side, just the basking area and a little extra heat at night

NBGwen

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Carl
Here's a progress pic
87171-1843031636.jpg

I'm going to try a nano set for the lights. The ones I had set up will not work. They either get too hot for Charlie or too hot for the socket. I thought avout cutting a hole in the top but for functional reasons that won't work either. I dont have the tools to cut through the wood.

The framing you see is pine that I used a hand saw to cut. The cuts aren't perfect but it works. I wrapped the pine in the self liner to make it more aesthetically pleasing. I really like the look. I'm doing the same with the doors. The doors will also have a fine aluminum mesh on them, not glass, so that Charlie can't see his reflection anywhere.

I am putting tiles in for him. The missing pieces are with a friend to get cut.

NBGwen

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Carl
Got the doors on
87171-5425446918.jpg

Not fancy, opens downwards. Need to get latches and a lock for it. Ordering the nano fixtures on Tuesday (need money first). My friend is getting the cut tile to me Monday. Then he'll be able to go in!!!

NBGwen

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Carl
I'm so happy!!! I went with the bank set and success!

87171-6122316955.jpg

Charlie is wayyy happier already! Even ate some collard greens! I'm hoping to add a sling in there for him but for now this a huge improvement for him ?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Looks great! I'm glad he is enjoying it so far. I'm sure he appreciates all the effort you put into it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nhacaiuytinco1
Top Bottom