Viv building material

Status
Not open for further replies.

NickZafo

Ok... so I started to purchase all the materials I need and started on my fake rocks.

The only question i have about building the viv is what material should I use?
Safety is my number one concern obviously and I’ve hurd a lot of good and bad things about melamine.

RedHandFilms

Sub-Adult Member
Many people here many people use melamine to build their cage. There haven't really been any problems with it. Some woods have been shown to be dangerous. Woods liked cedar and pine can give off toxic fumes. Just remember the chemicals in these woods are natural antibiotic agents often used in cleaning products. The best woods to use our birch and oak. These are completely safe. I would never recommend using cedar, however pine can still be used so long as it is properly sealed. I built my cage of pine and had had no problems with it.

NickZafo

Original Poster
RedHandFilms":2e1b8 said:
Woods liked cedar and pine can give off toxic fumes.
i will deffinatly keep this in mind while shopping around. How is the pine?

edit:
i was thinking about plywood but i didnt like the look of it =/

RedHandFilms

Sub-Adult Member
slddgk":9aa4d said:
How about good ol' fashioned plywood??? Can you use that?

Plywood comes made in many different types of wood. The cheap, basic kind of plywood is pine but it comes in birch, oak, maple, ash, etc...
There are also grades to the plywood. The normal grading system uses the letters A, B, C & D, where A is the best quality, with virtually no blemishes and very well sanded. Grade D typically contains up to the maximum number of blemishes allowed.
The letter grades typically come in pairs, where one letter refers to the "better" side, called the face, and the other letter to the back side, opposite the face. As such, a sheet of A-C plywood will be very well finished on the face with a relatively unfinished back. This could be used for cabinetry and finished furniture. Conversely, construction grade plywood would be C-D (commonly referred to as CDX plywood), which is great for structural use but not suited to be finish material.This kind of stuff isn't seen. It could be used as a subfloor with hardwood or carpet covering it.

NickZafo

Original Poster
my god.
you have opened my eyes to the world of plywood lol.
thank you for the in depth reply
i will deff look more into it.
hopefully it will be cheeper too :p

slddgk

Ok - so I guess then the answer to my question is yes, as long as you get the better grade plywood, and of course sealing it properly, Right!!!!

1sttimebeardiemom

Juvie Member
Just want to add Shellac is a great sealant....organic and non toxic...perfect for beardie cages...typically takes at least 3 coats for wood. It gives it a nice natural stain and sheen.

NickZafo

Original Poster
thank you mater's mom :)
i had been looking around for a good sealent and the Shellac sounds great i will definatly look more into it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylis342
Top Bottom