Viv background problem!! He tries to run into it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just got Boris my beardy a Australian outback background on his viv. The thing is, he keeps on trying to run into it, thinking he's actually there. Is this something I should be worried about or is it normal? Thanks

80580-9948603403.jpg

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Dundee does that with his background sometimes too. "Ooh, that bush looks nice I'll go climb it!". As long as he has plenty of spots to really climb and wander around in his tank (based on the photo he does) then that's fine. Just keep an eye on him to make sure he doesn't hit the glass very hard to cause an injury.

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
Personally I try and minimize any confusion the environment might be causing. If he does it infrequently or eventually gives up it wouldn't be so troubling as if he persists. It could contribute to long term stress if he continues to think he can go over there, similar to glass dancing. Hopefully he will figure it out.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That's a good point. You don't want it to become a source of stress for him. There is a difference between occasional confusion and stress coming from regularly trying to access an area that appears to be available.

Jettum

Mine got really confused at first too. I watched her climb her branch and try to step on the picture of what looks like a flat spot of a rock. She did it and fell several times. The first few days were the worst. I was tempted to take it back off bc it didn't have the calming affect I had anticipated. But now she doesn't do it at all. And she seems happy snuggling in the corner of her viv at night, which she never did b4 I put up the background. (She still glass dances across the front when she wants something tho. Lol)

npgeorgeuw

Hatchling Member
At first ours both did that. Within a few days they were much more comfortable and clearly better off with it. I wouldn't go back to not having one now seeing the effect it had...

VivariumDesign

Original Poster
Thanks for all the advice guys, Boris has stopped trying to jump into the background now. He looks like he is a lot more comfortable in there to be honest. :)

npgeorgeuw

Hatchling Member
Yeah, I think that's what most people observe. It's tough since it's so objective but I can tell you that if we didn't have one our dragons would see each other and as soon as they do it's instant stress marks....

glad things have calmed down. He'll grow to love his cage as long as it's a good environment...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Maryjane91383
Top Bottom