Virgin laying fertile eggs possible???

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparky5969

Hatchling Member
I am trying to find any info on virgin female dragons laying fertile clutches with out ever being with male. If anyone has ever heard of this happening or has any info re: this please either PM me or leave a post.. i am very interested in all info good or bad.... Thanks

DragonMomSandy

Gray-bearded Member
I've never heard of this happening or seen anything documented about it either. If a female has not been with a male and she lays eggs, they will be infertile. Bearded dragons are not a species that can change their sex or fertilize their own eggs to produce offspring without mating. Biologically, not possible.

sparky5969

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
DragonMomSandy":1mt6bjsb said:
I've never heard of this happening or seen anything documented about it either. If a female has not been with a male and she lays eggs, they will be infertile. Bearded dragons are not a species that can change their sex or fertilize their own eggs to produce offspring without mating. Biologically, not possible.

I Ty for the reply and is what I figured b/c I was unable to locate any info on this during my search ... lol I'm a waitting to see what hatches or not but might have a 1st here...

DragonMomSandy

Gray-bearded Member
If you have babies hatch from a clutch where the female was never with a male, make sure it's well documented with a vet. It would certainly be a first. Once the eggs are incubated for a few weeks, you can actually "candle" them to see if they are viable or not. If she was not with a male however, then they are just infertiles. This is common for adult females to lay infertile eggs, sometimes more than one clutch. Let us know how it goes!

ThyDemise

Hatchling Member
ive seen a few cases of this in Leachies, which until then was thought not possible, and still many people refuse to believe it, but theres a few cases out there. ive never heard of it in dragons but i agree, if it does happen definitely document it.

a couple links. (i hope this is allowed?)

http://www.reptilechannel.com/lizards/breeding-lizards/caledonian-giant-gecko-parthenogenesis-2.aspx

http://www.forums.repashy.com/rhacodactylus-leachianus-discussion/11909-parthenogenesis-rhacodactylus-leachianus.html

http://pangeareptile.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33036

sparky5969

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Lol I didn't want to get all gun ho until something hatched out but I know that she has never(and I do mean never) had any contact with a male. I know there is going to be alot of skeptisism(sp) re this issue and was just trying to get as much info as possible. As I have 2 eggs that have veins showing when candled.

DragonMomSandy

Gray-bearded Member
Very cool that your seeing something when candled! Definately keep them incubated and lets see what happens! I'm not really so much skeptical of the idea, more that I have never seen any documented cases of such happening. It would be the first time that I'm aware of!

lacy_black

Gray-bearded Member
Take lots of pics to keep as proof and write all info down, this is kind of exciting :blob5: Could you imagine your vet's reaction if you showed him babies? :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lunalane827
Top Bottom