Vets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rankins

Gray-bearded Member
As we all know many vets are not experienced with reptiles...and after reading a post yesterday about a vet that I feel contributed to an animals death, I wanted to post my experience yesterday.
This isn't about a bearded dragon, but it doesn't really matter, its still applicable. There is only one vet in my area that will see my venomous. He isn't a reptile expert, however he is an awesome vet. He's not afraid to see my animals as long as I control them through the exam. I had to take my new acquired beaded lizard in for some weird eye problems. It looks like cherry eye, but reduces at times. He came to me that way a couple weeks ago, the seller did not disclose that it had any problems...so I'm not happy. But I took him to the vet yesterday and my vet said he didn't exactly know what it was or why it was. He told me he wasn't going to start charging for testing or meds until he was able to do some research. He got back to me today and said to bring the animal out of brumation (screws up my breeding program) and put him on a diet for awhile to see if its fat deposits trying to push the eye out. He consulted with a few reptile experts and they all said similar things.
So...if there is not a reptile vet in your area, it is likely they could consult with other vets that are. It just depends if you can find a vet that will do that.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Been my experience that vets are very hit and miss, I lost my lovely boy Puff because the so called expert vet who claimed lots of experience with reptiles misdiagnosed the lump on the back of his head as an abscess , and then discovered it was an a aneurism on his jugular when he opened him up to drain the fluid.... Puff survived the surgery but lost a lot of blood and never woke up.

Had I known (my suspicion was on the money BTW) I would not have allowed Puff to go into surgery.

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
I guess I'm really lucky we have a good reptile vet. My sister already had a turtle when I got my first reptile, and she recommended her. That was 14 years ago and we've been through lots of health issues with both the snake and the bearded dragon since then, and so far so good...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hitclubhomes1
Top Bottom