Very worried. Baby beardie. New owners. Please help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seyka

Hi Beardie community. We have two new baby beardies (approx 10 weeks old). One of them is thriving (Little Foot) and the other is not at all (Peatree). Peatree is why I'm writing you. She(maybe female we don't know yet?) does not seem to be doing well. They were both the same time size when we got them but Little Foot has grown much bigger than Peatree even though there seems to be no dominance issues going on. We have started feeding them separately but Peatree barely eats while being fed many calciumed crickets. She sees them and just leaves
them. She seems to shake when lunging for crickets. She has a shaky wobbly walk when trying to make precise movements. She could race across the cage still though. Today she has seemed very lethargic and has even been leaving her head on the ground in an alarming manor. We're very worried. Any suggestions would help. We love them!! Thank you.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Are you using a UVB light, if so, what brand? How often are you dusting their crickets with calcium?

It would be a good idea to separate them, even though you may not think there are dominance issues going on, they can get very stressed when housed together. High stress levels can increase the coccidia level which can make them very sick or worse.

destiny1998

Extreme Poster
Photo Comp Winner
Hi. I just wanted to say I took in a little one 2 weeks ago . She was housed with her sister and they were in a 20 gallon tank sand , heat rock just a bad set up. Anyway when I first got her she was only 9 inches and 36 grams the other one was twice her size and the guy said he bought them in march or April. Anyway since she has been here she now weighs 50 grams and grew 2 inches. Its just amazing how they flourish in the right environment. :D

Sheena

Yeah you need to separate them ASAP, the larger one is dominating the little one even though it doesn't look like it. You can't house beardies together because of this reason. They also need uvb don't buy the coil light they cause eye problems, get the long tube lights.

But they really need their own enclosures if they are going to do well, I can't stress that enough. :(

Seyka

Original Poster
@destiny1998 @sheena @diamc thank you so much for your help. We do have a coil UVB light. We will get a better tube bulb and a new cage so they can each have their own home. Hopefully this will make her better. Thank you again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SherlockMommy
Top Bottom