Very small BMs, throwing up

Status
Not open for further replies.

lough040

Original Poster
She was eating 5-7 superworms a day. I also give her a scrambled egg (no salt or butter or anything, just pure egg) once a week or so.

We did just move into a new house a few weeks ago so her care has not been as up to par as usual - for the most part the same , same amount of superworms/greens and time out of the tank, same amount of tank cleaning, same heat/lighting schedule. I also just changed her UVB bulb a few days ago (ReptiSun 10.0, inside the tank so the screen isn't filtering any out). But I've been slacking on the vitamin dusting - is it alright to mix that in with the pumpkin ?

I found the food print out list on here, once she is doing well enough to resume normal feeding I'm going to monitor her diet/vitamin intake more closely.

Rankins

Gray-bearded Member
AHBD...Why not mineral oil? That's what I have always used...for humans and reptiles. But I found grape seed oil, which I bought a bottle of a few weeks ago.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Mineral oil is a by product of the distillation of petroleum to make gasoline. A veg. based oil would be much safer, esp. if it were to be used semi regularly, or even occasionally to treat constipation. Grape seed oil sounds safe, I've heard of it but never used it.

lough040

Original Poster
Not much change today, she took some pumpkin / olive oil from a syringe, soaked in a warm bath after I came home. I came home to a small dried out poop/urate. I put her in a dig box for a while and she dug around but didn't do anything - so I'm not sure if she is gravid and indecisive or if it is something else. Still acting completely normal. Haven't fed superworms/greens since Saturday- should I continue with the syringes of pumpkin/oil and not feed anything else? Or...?

Rankins

Gray-bearded Member
AHBD...mineral oil is approved by the FDA as safe. Its used in manufacturing of medications. Vasaline is also a petroleum product and is used in wound treatments (neosporin, triple antibiotic ointment). We are ingesting small amounts of a petroleum product every day. Its used as a lubricant in machinery that processes food. Its used in cosmetics and skin care product. Coal tar is also a petroleum product and is used to treat psoriasis and scalp conditions. Mineral oil is medical grade and has been purified for that use. I'll have to research it some to find out why its dangerous when we are coming into contact with it frequently.
Grape seed oil is natural, but so is crude oil...both are purified and refined for ingestion. Trust me, I know the word "petroleum product" sounds horrible...grape seed oil sounds safer,(but I suspect a petroleum product was used in its manufacturing process) I just don't know if it truly is.

Rankins

Gray-bearded Member
Is there a way you could take a few pictures of her? With enough eyes looking at her we could probably be able to tell if she is gravid. I just don't know how throwing up and passing urates turned into gravidity.
Glad she's getting around okay... :)

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Rankins if you check my first mention of why she may have thrown up it was because like many owners do with their pets, the dragon was spending time outside of the cage.So I mentioned it may not have had enough warmth to digest food at that particular time. She hasn't vomited since, so who knows ? The small poos do coincide with what many females do near laying time....Google it here + you'll see or ask one of the mods....small, frequent b.m's for a gravid female are normal. So that is a possibility, but of course not a definite diagnosis.....pics can help but won't be conclusive either. And maybe there is a blockage, or just a bit of constipation.

Veg. oil that is used for consumption every day in large quantities throughout the world is far safer than mineral oil which is not an actual food and is subject of debate. Why use it when there are alternatives that are safer ? But I won't get off track here or write more on this post, it will detract from the thread and the mods. will call us out as they do their good work here to make sure these debates aren't hogging up the o.p's thread. :)

lough040

Original Poster
I will post some pictures when I get home from work this afternoon! No poop when I woke up this morning. I've realized her last two BMs were mostly urate with little to no actual fecal matter. She hasn't thrown up since, but I haven't offered superworms or any like real food since. Also, what do you guys recommend for making a dig box? I'm wondering if I just didn't make hers big/deep enough? I used ground flaxseed for a substrate after reading somewhere about how someone uses it because it's digestible in case they eat it.

Rankins

Gray-bearded Member
AHBD...no need to get defensive. This is not the place for it. This is for discussion, and that is what I thought we were doing. You stated some thoughts, I posted mine. I am perfectly aware of how to look things up on the internet, but thank you for suggesting I should do that. Funny thing is I have been breeding and keeping reptiles for over 40 years (before internet existed)...I have contributed to much of the information your reading about on the internet :)
You have been on this list for a long time. I am perfectly aware you probably know the moderators very well....but so far I see no reason to mention that.
Take this as an apology....

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
A dig box is different than an actual laying/nesting bin. You use play sand or with a mixed plain bagged top soil, [ Lowe's, Home Depot carry them ] and dampen it so it is moist but not wet. It has to be pretty deep, you can use a medium plastic storage tote or something smaller with a hole cut in the lid like I used in one of my cages. Here's a pic:
https://www.beardeddragon.org/media/30026/full

lough040

Original Poster
Okay! I am putting up some pictures of her from all angles. Do her eyes look sunken at all? Her belly feels a little big but idk if its always felt that big and im just being super observant. When I came home she was sleeping sideways between her rock and the aquarium- scared me , she did not look good, but she was just napping. Is that a sign of something?
Also she had something in one eye. Not sure if it was discharge or just some flaxseed making it gunky from playing in her digbox. Also I've noticed a venting like behavior from her , like not hissing really, but she does it sometimes when she is not in the heat, does that mean anything?
Thanks!!

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
She looks pretty healthy, decent weight and bright eyed. Nothing to indicate that she's carrying eggs....infertiles don't usually cause the belly bulges that fertile eggs do. They do sleep in very uncomfortable looking positions....how long was she like that ? Is that a little dig box behind her ? Most beardies like a taller box filled with topsoil/sand so they can dig a nice cave. Has she eaten anything ? Is she still drinking ?

lough040

Original Poster
Not sure how long she was sleeping like that, we left for work around 8am and returned around 430pm. That was/is a dig box behind her, I also made her a bigger one this evening out of a 50gal rubbermaid and a 40lb bag of topsoil.She is just standing in it, not doing anything. Last night she was digging around in her smaller one . Today she isn't really doing anything, just standing in it with her eyes closed. She had a bath but no poop today, possibly some urate in her cage. She had some olive oil and pumpkin from a syringe. She is acting normal when interacted with, except for the strange way she was sleeping when I got home today. She is a little less active than she has been lately but no less active than normal - lately she has just been over active. I haven't offered superworms or eggs, her two favorite foods , as the vet said not to feed her for two days. She told me that on Monday - should I try offering food? I'm fairly confident she would eat it.

Any ideas?? I'm worried.

lough040

Original Poster
She could be completely healthy and I could be overreacting. We did just move which could be the source of restlessness/anxiety. No explanation for the small poops/vomit though - she vomitted the morning after eating some egg and worms, maybe she ate too much? It's just super concerning for me because my last beardie started vomitting the day before she passed, so this has got me all nervous. The vet said to call her tomorrow or Friday if Marley hasn't had a good solid BM - if she isn't blocked up, could her lack of poop be because i haven't been feeding her following the vets recommendations?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J.sobrero
Top Bottom