Very Lethargic Dragon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,
I'm new to this forum. My hubby and I breed Dragons and have raised reptiles for 15+ years. We have a fairly new male that we aquired from a breeder about 6 mo. ago. He is 18 mo. old. Since we've had him, he has been very inactive-lethargic. At first, we thought it might have been the adjustment period, ie.Stress. Then we thought he wanted to brumate. We brumated him for 1 mo. He has been out of brumation for a couple mo. and still very lethargic. He is in a custom breeder cage. Hot side= 100 and cool side=83. He has a 48" Reptisun fluorescent 10.0 bulb. He has regular access to natural sunlight. He is currently not eating. He has been fecaled and no problems there. Any suggestions?
Thanks

Judah'sHuman

Juvie Member
Any ideas on how well he was taken care of by the previous owners? i.e did he have the appropriate lighting, food, subliments and over all husbandry? Perhaps you can try giving him some repta aid or acidophiliz+ & baby food

ElisasDragons

Original Poster
He was taken care of very well. He came from a very reputable breeder that we trust very much. We have been giving him. A vitamin/nutrition supplement orally daily. I may try the baby food just to get some fruit and veggies into him. I don't get it-he has a beautiful female cage mate. He should be showing off his manlyhood!

Judah'sHuman

Juvie Member
humm...was he housed with other dragons before you got him? Perhaps until he perks up he should be in his own viv, it could be that being in a viv with another dragon could be stressing him out. Along with the new environment he is put with a new companion. I'm only guessing but it could be part of it.

beardie parents

BD.org Sicko
Most beardies don't like being housed with another beardie. He could be showing the results of being dominated by his cage mate. Try housing him in another separate tank and see how he does.

ElisasDragons

Original Poster
He was solo for almost 5 mo. We just put a female in with him and it has perked him up a little bit. All our dragons are in pairs or trios for breeding purposes and they all seem to do quite well.
Elisa

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

If he has been exhibiting lethargic behavior for an extended period of time, I recommend getting a bloodtest on him to determine kidney & liver function on him.
How has his appetite been?
Some dragons just do not do well being housed with others, while others do.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nhacaiuytinco1
Top Bottom