Very Confused...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today my shipment of adult dubia roaches just came in and I plan on breeding them. I looked up how to tell the difference between the genders but all of the websites make it sound confusing. Some say the winged ones are males and some say the winged one are females... The shipment only came with one roach with no wings but it was dead... Are they males, females, or just varied and I don't even know it?

Here is the dead one.
85023-210333397.jpg
85023-2733499753.jpg

Here is a winged one.
85023-2358805761.jpg
85023-5685241986.jpg

Here is one of the many that have tattered wing and are slightly smalled than a fully winged one.
85023-4137484916.jpg
85023-7185037280.jpg

Here are some pictures of the enclosure.
85023-3058488835.jpg
85023-9667785447.jpg
85023-9746331884.jpg

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It looks to me like you have a big box of males which won't work for starting a colony =/. I'd feed them off and order a mix pack of younger bugs so you have a better chance at diversity (although it will take longer for them to establish).

where did u order them from? and did u specify genders or just order adults? either way sending all males seems like a pretty shady thing to do.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I agree that it's a bit questionable to send a whole shipment of adult males if that wasn't specified. I would probably find a different vendor for my next order. I started my colony with a mix pack of bugs from ABDragons and it worked out well. There are several reputable vendors around though.

yea that sucks they pretty much dumped unwanted males on you. good food for an adult dragon but not cool for starting a colony. I'm sure they weren't cheap either. what I did was buy 25 extra large nymphs from www.dubiaroaches.com, they took about a month to molt and become adults, roughly half and half male to female. that way I know all my roaches are young but didn't have to wait months for them to mature. then I got 300 more medium ones and 1500 red runner roaches because they are super cheap, 1000 was less than $20 and already almost every female was laying eggs the next day. good luck next time, sorry u got screwed but maybe u saved someone else from getting done bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DarthPenumbra
Top Bottom