very concerned :(...please help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doddins

Hatchling Member
Hey guys
I havent posted in such a long time (mainly due to re decorating and being busy) but ive come back because something seems awfully wrong with Stimpy :(

normally hes so energetic, full of life n very cheeky. last two days hes done nothing but lay out, move very little, not eat but he is pooing on a regular basis still, and his eyes are always closed. hes very limp and lifeless when you pick him up...he will open his eyes for a minute then closes them again.

He will literally lay where you put him back and wont move. it appears like hes brumating but very early in the year.

i put him in his bath and he drank alot of water, and i gave him more in a syringe which he drank. hes refused to drink anything for a few days so this was a relief at least but he still looks dehydrated.

I havent changed his diet, nothing new has been added or removed from his tank.
His tank is 4ft long, 2ft wide and 2ft tall with a mega ray MVB 100W (think its 100, ill check soon)
His diet consists of rocket, and mixed dark greens. strawberries, blue berries, black crickets, meal worm

Im in a really bad situation with Vets in the area because there isnt anyone locally that has any reptile knowledge. the closest vet that speialises in reptiles is a 2 hour drive away and aint back in the opffice until thursday. all our local vets are for dogs, cats, birds etc etc

Im getting really concerned know :( im really hoping someone here has some advice

Im no whizz yet, but my beardie has lost his appetite and does this eye shutting behaviour.

Ive now bought a reptisun 10.0 and apparently these work wonders for appetite, wierd behaviour and this eye thing. So in your dragons case might be something to do with the lighting?

Jiffy

BD.org Addict
Sorry that your beardie is not doing well.
Is he shedding? I know that sometimes affects their appetites. And as far as the eye issues, the majority of the time they are caused by bad bulbs, but I dont know anything about the mega rays causing eye trouble. Maybe someone with some mega ray knowledge will pop in here.

Doddins

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thanks for the replies.
When i initially bought my MVB bulb i did alot of digging around on this forum because i know some lights cause problems etc and i couldnt find any one with bad experience with the mega ray MVB. its 6 month old now, do you think it needs replacing?

ive just gone in to check on him this morning and he hasnt moved at all, he opened his eyes when i opened the tank and he just closed them again and laid perfectly still. His breathing is very slow.

to look at him it just looks like hes very tired and worn out which is what i thought the first day he started behaving like this.

Doddins

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
guys im really worried now, hes drooling alot and looks like hes trying to bring up some phlegm...he keeps juddering then opening his mouth like hes about to be sick but nothing is coming up.

i cant get hold of any local vets...im so worried :(

Jiffy

BD.org Addict
I am so sorry that your beardie is not doing well. You may want to contact a mod and have them move the thread to the er section.

beardie parents

BD.org Sicko
I wonder if he has either parasites or a respiratory infection. I'm sorry, I understand how scared you are and the frustrating thing about not being closer to a vet that specializes in beardies. Regular vets here will do fecals and check with a herp vet in the next local town about treatment but they won't do much of anything else other than that.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Moved from Health forum to get more attention

Here's a list of vets, just click on the state and city where you're located: http://www.herpvetconnection.com/

How old is your beardie? The Megarays are good MVB's, can you double check to see if it is a 100 or 160 watt? Also, how close do you have that to the basking spot? What are the temps in his tank & what type of thermometer are you using?

What has he had to eat in the last couple of days? Had you noticed any mucous around his nose or mouth? It's possible that he aspirated some water into his legs when he drank. When did he last drink? Are you hearing any wheezing or raspy sounds? Is his beard and/or tail darkened in color? Are his eyes open? How is he acting now? If he's still spitting out water, put him at a slant so that his head is down so that the water can drain out. Please update us when you can.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is your dragon doing this evening, any changes in him at all? How do his eyes look? Are they sunken in right now?

Tracie

Doddins

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thanks for the replies but stimpy passed away last night :( he died in my hands. He doubled up backwards then just stopped breathing :(
its odd how you get so attached, he was like a little kid and will be massively missed

Doddins

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thank you Jiffy, cleaned out his tank not long ago and it feels weird seeing it all empty.
got an appointment on wed to take Liz to see a vet from Louth (was the soonest i could get either of them in to see anyone with lizard knowledge) to get her checked over to make sure shes healthy and not got anything wrong with her as well. Fingers crossed shes as fit and healthy as she looks.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I'm so sorry to hear about your beardie passing away. :( Please let us know how you make out with your other beardie getting checked out at the vets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Panthercat
Top Bottom