Very Bloated approx 6 months old

Status
Not open for further replies.

PerrysPeople

Original Poster
I am very sorry to say, that Perry pasted away last night. I feel so bad. I did everything I could to keep him alive. Then I come home yesterday to theorem out and his viv was down to 62. I got him into a warm bath to bring his temp back up, but I guess it didn't work, or he just had had enough. I am having troubles writing this due to the flowing tears. How do I explain to my son that I wasn't able to keep his first pet alive. This is something that could stay with him for the rest of his life.
What to do now. Is there somewhere to take Perry, or is it like a hamster. Just bury in the back yard. I've put him into a decrative burial box, not that will make the process any easier for my son, but don't think he would want to see him the way I found him.
Any suggestions would be great.
Thank you to everyone that tried to help.
RIP Perry. You were only with us for a short while, but will be dearly missed.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Oh, no, I'm so, so sorry ! My deepest sympathy to you + your family . I was hoping it was something that he could get through, but sometimes the little ones are just fragile once they become sick. I think a little box in the backyard would be fine for Perry. Try to be strong for your son, although crying is normal even for us adults, he will need you to reassure him that you did what you could and you guys loved Perry and he is no longer in any pain. Maybe in the future you can get another one, maybe a bit larger + sturdier, if and when the right time comes. Again, I'm really, really sorry.

PastelBeardie

Juvie Member
Have you given him plenty of time to get back to normal temps? I'm asking because I had a gecko scare the stuffings out of me because he was acting all stiff and dead, and I turned him around in my hands several times, and he stayed stiff and apparently dead. The furnace had gone out overnight so he'd gotten too cold. (I had a new furnace put in since then so it hopefully won't happen again.) Then he suddenly jumped out of my hand and took off running. He's still alive and doing fine, and that was nearly two years ago.

I learned that reptiles who get too cold can do this. I just want to mention this just in case.

PerrysPeople

Original Poster
Oh, yah he's defiantly gone. Thanks though.

Now the question is. Do we get another one? Not a baby. Where would be the best place. I know pet stores are usually a no, no. There is a rescue in the area, but they only have a older female with MBD. I saw a 9 month old at the local pet store. Is it only bad to get babies. I'm asking because I have hundreds of roaches right now, because I set up a colony for the baby, because they are suppose to eat a lot. Who needs roaches in the area? If we don't get a new BD, we have to get rid of the roaches. Can't believe I brought them into my house in the first place.

Momomo

Hatchling Member
I am very very sorry for your loss. But why would you get another one? You said you don't have enough money to take your beardie to a vet (which could have helped Perry). So what if your new beardie gets sick too? :roll:

PastelBeardie

Juvie Member
Momomo":10mcfq9x said:
I am very very sorry for your loss. But why would you get another one? You said you don't have enough money to take your beardie to a vet (which could have helped Perry). So what if your new beardie gets sick too? :roll:
Agreed. You might want to consider selling your roach colony and waiting until you have the finances available to be able to take the animal to the vet if things should go wrong. You can always start another colony again in the future. :)

Momomo

Hatchling Member
I live in Ontario. Try to open a new thread in the "Canada" section of the forum. Maybe also try Kijiji? Where did you get the roaches btw? I though they were illegal in Canada.

PerrysPeople

Original Poster
If all my perimeters are correct, which I've been told by the vet that they are. Then if I was to receive a healthy BD to begin with then it shouldn't be a problem. What's the average that people take their BD's in? I have dogs and cats that get regular checkups, same would go for a new BD. Its just a bit much when we start out with problems. I do understand where you are coming from. It would kill me to have to watch another beautiful animal go through what Perry did. I have the equipment and time for a BD, just not the $ for multiple vet trips.
Just know that this is really affecting me. I just want to do the right thing. I have until 3pm to figure it out and how I'm going to discuss the decision with my 9 year old. Technically his pet.

Momomo

Hatchling Member
I got info about roaches from this thread viewtopic.php?f=76&t=156695 . Not exactly sure if they are completely illegal or just illegal to import.

Regarding your other post, I really think its up to you, just remember that even if a dragon is healthy when you buy it, things could go wrong and sometimes only a vet can help. You sound like a responsible and caring person from your posts, but at the same time, if I were in the same situation I would have borrowed as much money as I had to if my beardie was having severe health issues and needed a vet. I think a BD should be treated similarly to a dog or cat, as in, if your dog got really sick, you would take it to a vet instead of just letting it die, right? You have enough money to feed your dogs and your cats and take them to the vet, means you are not poor :) so it just doesn't add up for me, that you would let your beardie slide, I hope you don't think bearded dragons deserve any less than dogs and cats. Anyways, your call.

PerrysPeople

Original Poster
Yes I have money to feed my cats and dogs. I was also feeding Perry very well.
I had taken him to the vet when we got him, then took him to the vet for an early bout of Pinworms. He had just gotten over that and eating like crazy, when all of a sudden started breathing strangly. Some people are not in a position to borrow money. I did treat him as good as my dogs or cats. I spent countless hours with him. Making sure he was eating. Checking in all day, to make sure any messes were cleaned up right away. Sitting with him in my room with my heater on for hours, because he seemed to love the attention. Even while he wasn't feeling well, he seemed to enjoy being out of his viv. I did not let it slide. I think BD need more then a cat or a dog, and I provided everything I could. If it was between your medication and any pet. I would imagine everyone would pic their own medication. All living things in my home get the highest level of attention.
I believe I did everything I could.
My biggest mistake was getting a baby BD from a pet store. Lessened learned.
Just so everyone knows. I don't think I let him die.

PerrysPeople

Original Poster
It's been a rough time for me since I was the one taking care f him every day. I don't even want to go into the room to clean everything. I know it has to be done, but I can't even look at the cage.
Not to mention the issue with the feeders. Didn't like dealing with them before, now I really don't want to deal with them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HeathLizard
Top Bottom