Velcro and duct tape not keeping light up

Status
Not open for further replies.

littlebirdy

Juvie Member
We had a long strip of Velcro that was working for the 36 inch UVB tube but after we took the light down to change the bulb the fixture started gradually falling down. We tried more Velcro, a couple of small squares, and it fell. Duct tape is not working either. I just took it down because I would rather Clovis have no UVB than be squashed. Suggestions?

Sherri

Sub-Adult Member
Can you hang chain from the top and attach to the top? Adjust the lenghth as needed? What is your viv covered with? Any surface can be used to hang chains from, and use the velcro across the back to keep it secure (meaning it won't move but will be supported by the chains). This is what I am about to do in order to lower the UVB. may not like the look of it, but I will likely get plastic coated chain in a color if it will be safe :D

Jess

Extreme Poster
Click the link that says "Lighting Help for Newbies" in my signature. :wink: It explains how to mount a UVB light with Command hooks.

littlebirdy

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Jess, the problem is that we have a heavier fixture. We could NOT find a cheap one that worked. (We got one that was supposed to be wired into a lighting system. It had no cord. We have issues.) So we just went with one that is supposed to go on an aquarium, and there are no holes for hooks.

littlebirdy

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Nope. Hence the issues. :/ The big hooks might help take some of the weight off of the duct tape, though they couldn't hold it up by itself. I would try to make holes myself but the bloody thing cost $50 and I don't want to wreck it 2 days before we leave for vacation. :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Jess

Extreme Poster
It's the kind that sits on top of the screen lid, right? As long as you don't have any cats or something that would want to eat Clovis, you could cut a hole in the screen where you set the UVB light hood. That way the light would be un-filtered, and you don't have to hang it up.

Sherri

Sub-Adult Member
I am guessing you have a glass/aquarium type enclosure....

This may sound crazy LOL What about those over the door hooks for towels/robes etc.? I have some that are square and *flatter*, not where it hooks up at an angle. I would still velcro the bottom part of the hook and the light fixture where it would come in contact if that makes sense?

Could that work temporarily? You could use the velcro as back up as well.

Or hang clamps on either end and do the chain thing.

Or brackets on either end of the fixture and use heat proof rope or chain.

:dontknow:

finnie

Hi, is your lighting unit the black plastic kind? I got mine from a previous owner and this is what it is like (a fish tank lighting). The prev. owner screwed a screw into each end of this on an angle into the viv screen top. Now I don't use the top anymore, but with the holes already there, I can hang the lighting unit with a hook onto the viv. If your's is the plastic kind, I would try using a screw to make the hole, but maybe heating up the screw end might work best so you won't accidentally crack the plastic. Just a suggestion. Good luck!

littlebirdy

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Finnie, it is just like that. I will try and put holes in it tomorrow now that I know it can be done!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylis342
Top Bottom