Vacation enclosure

We're going on a week-long vacation in a few months and I have no choice but to take my ~10 month old boy Goetta with us. I've been scouring the internet for ideas on travel enclosures, but I'm seeing a lot of mixed responses.

One option would be a large storage bin, which I already have one DIY'd in storage with a mesh top. I just worry about the plastic melting.
Another option that I've seen in a few threads on here is using an enclosed playpen. I think that's gonna be the way we go, but I worry about keeping it well-heated.

We have no options other than bringing him with us.

I am open to any and all suggestions!

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
I take a 10 gallon with me and set it up kindda bare bones. If you have room a 20 gallon long would be better. Wrap your lights in a towel when traveling to try to minimize shaking, basking bulbs don't tolerate shaking very well. I recommend taking extra just in case.

Weenielord

Original Poster
I take a 10 gallon with me and set it up kindda bare bones. If you have room a 20 gallon long would be better. Wrap your lights in a towel when traveling to try to minimize shaking, basking bulbs don't tolerate shaking very well. I recommend taking extra just in case.
Would he really be okay in a 20 gallon? I just felt bad because it's for an entire week and he won't be able to free roam in the Airbnb.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I prefer to use a playpen since they fold down for travel and can be expanded to provide more space than a glass tank. I bring a couple of adjustable lamp stands that allow me to hang a dome fixture over the top. I use one MVB for heat and UVB and if it's going to be cold overnight, I use a second dome with a heat projector bulb. I set those on a mechanical timer and it usually works pretty well.

themamaj

I prefer to use a playpen since they fold down for travel and can be expanded to provide more space than a glass tank. I bring a couple of adjustable lamp stands that allow me to hang a dome fixture over the top. I use one MVB for heat and UVB and if it's going to be cold overnight, I use a second dome with a heat projector bulb. I set those on a mechanical timer and it usually works pretty well.

SkittlesK

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Kamo
I definitely recommend Mercury Vapor Bulbs all in one for travel; especially if you are indoors and there's no light or heat.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Cooper do you have any pictures you can post of playpen and adjustable lights. I may be looking at this as well
Here are some photos of different travel setups I've used over the years. I don't bother with the pen if the area is safe for free roam, but that won't work for every dragon. One is a photo of his outdoor pen (no lights) and one has the full pen setup with the lights hanging overhead.

76248-4908426618.jpg

76248-9025465836.jpg

76248-2473803661.jpg

76248-7200013599.jpg

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Here are some photos of different travel setups I've used over the years. I don't bother with the pen if the area is safe for free roam, but that won't work for every dragon. One is a photo of his outdoor pen (no lights) and one has the full pen setup with the lights hanging overhead.

76248-4908426618.jpg

76248-9025465836.jpg

76248-2473803661.jpg

76248-7200013599.jpg
I noticed the cords on your domes look like orange extension cords. Did you disassemble them and use a heavier guage wire? I have rebuilt my domes a few times because the wire gets brittle from the heat but i didn't consider actually changing to a different wire. I just trimmed back far enough till it was pliable again. I may have to revisit my domes.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
@CooperDragon my stands usually fall, is that a weighted mat on top?
Love your set ups
I slip the metal plate under something with enough weight to keep it secure. In the photo it's slid under the corner of the enclosure which is plenty to keep it up. Other times I will set it under a chair leg or something like that. If the arm isn't extended outward, then not much is needed to keep it balanced. As you extend the arm up and out, more weight is needed on the plate. Keep in mind you can spin it around so the plate is facing away from the light. Sometimes this helps with a better fit depending on what you have available for a weight.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I noticed the cords on your domes look like orange extension cords. Did you disassemble them and use a heavier guage wire? I have rebuilt my domes a few times because the wire gets brittle from the heat but i didn't consider actually changing to a different wire. I just trimmed back far enough till it was pliable again. I may have to revisit my domes.
The dome fixtures I use are brooder lamps from a farm supply store. They tend to be cheaper (~$10)and higher quality than the reptile specific domes. The wire is thicker gauge like an extension cord. They are usually rated to support 250-300w. They also come with metal hooks that allow them to be hung from a stand easily.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
I'll be on the lookout for some, not much in the way of farm supplies here in vegas, but I'll be moving to Washington sometime in October so I'll look around there.

SkittlesK

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Kamo
I'll be on the lookout for some, not much in the way of farm supplies here in vegas, but I'll be moving to Washington sometime in October so I'll look around there.
I want to live in Montana.
What interests you in Washington.?

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RudeGurl
Top Bottom