UVB/Screen: to cut or not to cut? Your opinions welcome!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Embee

Gray-bearded Member
Hi all,

I'm trying to decide whether or not to cut the screen top to "unveil" the UVB tube. Right now, we're in a starter tank, 15 gallon, longish (2 feet), but quite "squat" (only 10 inches high I believe). In his/her favorite basking spots, Cloudy can get to within 8 or 6 inches of the ReptiSun 5.0 (went with the 5.0 due to the small/short tank). We have a fine mesh metal screen, and I've read more than a few times that it can block out a substantial amount of UVB. Then again, I see plenty of vivs where people have chosen to leave the screen in tact. What is the general consensus on this? Or perhaps there is no consensus? That's fine too.

That said, since we upgraded the bulb (6 days ago), "Cloudy" has been really doing so much better. Before, he'd been getting sluggish, losing his appetite, and sleeping more. Since, he is awake more, eating more, and generally upbeat, so the new bulb (currently, on top of the screen) has been making an impact, certainly. However, Cloudy is small (4 - 4 1/2 months, only 7 inches), so his body has some work to do. I wonder if cutting the screen will help all the more, or if it will be overkill?

In any case, I'd love to get some opinions!

Thanks!
Em

Chubz

i had to cut the top of my screen cuz the megaray i got is HUGE and it sicks out of the fixture to far

Embee

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
Ah, I was hoping to get more feedback. I'm at a loss for what to do.

Perhaps if I'm more simple and clear... here it goes:

If you are using a UVB tube strip that rests on a mesh screen top, do you cut the screen around the bulb to allow more UVB exposure, or do you just leave it, and feel that this is adequate?

TIA. :mrgreen:

VEGASLIZARD

Sub-Adult Member
I have mine that sits on top of the screen. I like it that way because I don't want him to be able to touch it. The bulbs can get hot and I don't want him to be able to burn himself. Anyway, it is my opinion that it is safer that way. Scorch seems to be doing fine. Growing like a weed and eats like a pig, so I think on top of screen is fine. :D

Embee

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
VEGASLIZARD":aead4 said:
I have mine that sits on top of the screen. I like it that way because I don't want him to be able to touch it. The bulbs can get hot and I don't want him to be able to burn himself. Anyway, it is my opinion that it is safer that way. Scorch seems to be doing fine. Growing like a weed and eats like a pig, so I think on top of screen is fine. :D

Thanks. This makes a lot of sense, in particular, because of the short stature of Cloudy's tank. It's reassuring that Scorch is doing so well with it, so maybe I'll just go ahead and leave it for now, and see. We are looking to upgrade the tank in just a month or two and then we'll have to make a bunch of new decisions! I just feel so bad that we got off to a rough start with the UVB, that I want to see Cloudy thrive in the best possible way.

I appreciate your reply. Thanks. :mrgreen:

Em

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tangel256
Top Bottom