UVB light

lilith13

Original Poster
This morning when I went to turn Clapton's lights on the uvb light wouldn't work. I figured it was the bulb burned out so I went & bought a new one. It still isn't turning on. Clapton has looked kinda sad today. I guess cause it's been overcast all day. So tomorrow I'm going to go buy a new light fixture. Is there some silly little thing I'm overlooking that could be the reason it's suddenly not working? I didn't expect to have to replace it this soon. He'll be okay for a couple days, right?

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
This morning when I went to turn Clapton's lights on the uvb light wouldn't work. I figured it was the bulb burned out so I went & bought a new one. It still isn't turning on. Clapton has looked kinda sad today. I guess cause it's been overcast all day. So tomorrow I'm going to go buy a new light fixture. Is there some silly little thing I'm overlooking that could be the reason it's suddenly not working? I didn't expect to have to replace it this soon. He'll be okay for a couple days, right?
He needs uvb asap. Was your fixture a ZooMed? I've had a lot of trouble out of those. I switched all mine to Arcadia.
Make sure there isn't a power botton that's turned off, and if the cord is detachable that it's plugged in good.

lilith13

Original Poster
He needs uvb asap. Was your fixture a ZooMed? I've had a lot of trouble out of those. I switched all mine to Arcadia.
Make sure there isn't a power botton that's turned off, and if the cord is detachable that it's plugged in good.
No, it is called Solar Grow. I won't be able to grab it till late tomorrow! :( I'm going to be worried all day.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
No, it is called Solar Grow. I won't be able to grab it till late tomorrow! :( I'm going to be worried all day.
Is it a Solar Glow - those go in a dome--- you want a long tube fixture besides the Solar Glow - they have been known to cause eye issues - they are MVB and do not give off enough UVB so that is why you also need the long tube fixture -- I can post 3 good ones for you - what size tank are you using?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Sorry your Solar Glo stopped working. Do you know what wattage it is? One thing to check is the ceramic
light fixture/base to be sure that it supports the wattage of your MVB light. I always try to have it rated at
least 50 watts higher than needed, or more to support the wattage running through it. The Solar Glo MVB
is a great bulb, nice & bright. I haven't tested one in awhile but they normally put out pretty good UVB.
As Karrie suggests, a nice tube bulb would be a great addition for overall UVB exposure & brightness.
I have used a tube bulb in combination with either a MVB or Metal Halide light, for years with success. It
helps so they have more areas to have various UVB ranges.

Tracie

lilith13

Original Poster
Is it a Solar Glow - those go in a dome--- you want a long tube fixture besides the Solar Glow - they have been known to cause eye issues - they are MVB and do not give off enough UVB so that is why you also need the long tube fixture -- I can post 3 good ones for you - what size tank are you using?
It's not a dome. It came with a different kind of lightstrip, and I had to switch it out for the UVB one. He has a 40-gallon tank. I ended up moving things around so I could go replace the light fixture in the middle of the day rather than that evening. The reptile expert I spoke to said he uses the same ones for his bearded dragon. I asked about the Arcadia and zoo med ones as well. I wondered if he'd point me toward the most expensive one but he didn't. Clapton is happy the sun is out again.
Can you give me those brands anyways, though? If the Solar Grow goes out again, after only a couple months I won't get the same one again.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
It's not a dome. It came with a different kind of lightstrip, and I had to switch it out for the UVB one. He has a 40-gallon tank. I ended up moving things around so I could go replace the light fixture in the middle of the day rather than that evening. The reptile expert I spoke to said he uses the same ones for his bearded dragon. I asked about the Arcadia and zoo med ones as well. I wondered if he'd point me toward the most expensive one but he didn't. Clapton is happy the sun is out again.
Can you give me those brands anyways, though? If the Solar Grow goes out again, after only a couple months I won't get the same one again.
Solor Glo's are good for heat and UVB just not enough and you need to replace them every 6 months if your relying on them for UVB -- you want a back up UVB so you know hes getting adequate UVB -- they the MVB also should not be obstructed as the screen will block 30% of the UVB rays -- I am posting 3 good long tube fixtures pick one that suits your budget
24" for a 40 + gallon tank
Zoo Med comes w/ a 5.0 bulb you will need the bulb I post as well
Zoo Med ReptiSun T5 HO High Output Terrarium Hood
22" Zoo Med ReptiSun 10.0 UVB T5 HO High Output Fluorescent Bulb
this one you can find at Pet Smart you want the 24 watt 12% bulb
Arcadia Reptile ProT5 UV-B Kit | reptile Light Fixtures | PetSmart
or this one you will need to change the bulb out to the one posted above and you want the 2 ft fixture or 24" https://hydrobuilder.com/sunblaster...mp.html?opts=eyJhdHRyaWJ1dGU5MDEiOiI2NjEwIn0=
Please post back on here when you get the fixture and I can help you get it placed for the tank - the screen will determine where it needs to go and distanced

lilith13

Original Poster
Solor Glo's are good for heat and UVB just not enough and you need to replace them every 6 months if your relying on them for UVB -- you want a back up UVB so you know hes getting adequate UVB -- they the MVB also should not be obstructed as the screen will block 30% of the UVB rays -- I am posting 3 good long tube fixtures pick one that suits your budget
24" for a 40 + gallon tank
Zoo Med comes w/ a 5.0 bulb you will need the bulb I post as well
Zoo Med ReptiSun T5 HO High Output Terrarium Hood
22" Zoo Med ReptiSun 10.0 UVB T5 HO High Output Fluorescent Bulb
this one you can find at Pet Smart you want the 24 watt 12% bulb
Arcadia Reptile ProT5 UV-B Kit | reptile Light Fixtures | PetSmart
or this one you will need to change the bulb out to the one posted above and you want the 2 ft fixture or 24" https://hydrobuilder.com/sunblaster...mp.html?opts=eyJhdHRyaWJ1dGU5MDEiOiI2NjEwIn0=
Please post back on here when you get the fixture and I can help you get it placed for the tank - the screen will determine where it needs to go and distanced
20240211_173521.jpg
20240421_232100.jpg

Here is a pic of the placement and one of what we are using.
(Though I didn't include a picture of the heat lamp boxes.)

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
View attachment 89037 View attachment 89038
Here is a pic of the placement and one of what we are using.
(Though I didn't include a picture of the heat lamp boxes.)
That is fine when you said Solar Grow I thought you meant Solar Glo- those are a MVB but this one is good - I need a pic of the screen - is it a fine mesh screen like a screen door or a wide hole type - if its the fine screen it will need to be unobstructed NO screen - 12-15 inches directly above a piece of basking decor - wide hole type it can stay on top but distance would need to be 8-10 inches

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DarthPenumbra
Top Bottom