UVB issues

jennyquenn

Beardie name(s)
George, Fifi, Stanlee, Peep, Fatcake, and George
Hello everyone..having some UVB issues and could use your help. I had all my t8 bulbs mounted on the inside. I recently got the 6.2 solar meter and checked all the bulbs. NO ONE was above 50?? I bought new fixtures with t5 bulbs (t5 would not fit in the previous fixtures)and put them on the screen. Tested again and still lower 50 range. WTH?? I thought the t5 were supposed to be strong enough that they could be on the screen top?

Rubble1212

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Rubble
Gosh they should be stronger than that? Was the meter sent with a calibration certificate? What distance is the the tube from the basking surface? Even on top of screen I would guess at 9-12 inches it would be closer to 150idh?

Rubble1212

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Rubble
What fixtures did you buy? Most of them come with some mounting brackets to screw into the ceiling of your enclosure that’s what I do with mine.

jennyquenn

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Gosh they should be stronger than that? Was the meter sent with a calibration certificate? What distance is the the tube from the basking surface? Even on top of screen I would guess at 9-12 inches it would be closer to 150idh?
Yes, the meter came with a certificate. I was literally 3-4 inches below light before I could get a 100 reading or above. Was thinking maybe I should get the newer version solar meter 6.5? Oddly enough my baby dragon has a mercury vapor bulb and it registered 110 through the screen top..can't figure this one out.

Rubble1212

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Rubble
What brand t5 are using? At 3-4 inches a Arcadia or reptisun should be really high probably 300-400 and 6.2 is fine if it reads 110 for the MVB what brand of MVB are you using?

Rubble1212

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Rubble
I don’t think a 6.5 would be any better or worse if the tubes are producing really low amounts of uvb it would just measure UVI. Your meter measuring higher uvb for the MVB tells me it’s working just like it should be if it’s measuring lower readings for the t5’s. Not exactly sure?

jennyquenn

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
I just had a "duh" moment. On Amazon there is a solarmeter 6.2 and a solarmeter 6.2R (reptile). I wonder if it is different? I would think a reading is a reading regardless but I'm going to check into this.

jennyquenn

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
What brand t5 are using? At 3-4 inches a Arcadia or reptisun should be really high probably 300-400 and 6.2 is fine if it reads 110 for the MVB what brand of MVB are you using?
Reptizoo t5, and reptizoo MVB

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nhacaiuytinco1
Top Bottom