UVB help!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ginjasnapz

Beardie name(s)
Dexie
I am a new beardie owner. My baby is fairly young so she is in a 20 gallon tank for now. We were sold the coil uvb which I know now is not ideal. What would be best for now in the 20 gallon tank? I have been reading zoo med T5 is good. I have a wide hole cover on top of the tank so I’ve read the T5 can sit on top of the cover. Would a T5 10.0 be too strong or stick with a T5 5.0 for now since my tank is small? Thanks in advance!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I am a new beardie owner. My baby is fairly young so she is in a 20 gallon tank for now. We were sold the coil uvb which I know now is not ideal. What would be best for now in the 20 gallon tank? I have been reading zoo med T5 is good. I have a wide hole cover on top of the tank so I’ve read the T5 can sit on top of the cover. Would a T5 10.0 be too strong or stick with a T5 5.0 for now since my tank is small? Thanks in advance!
The Zoo Med 24" will come w/ a 5.0 bulb-- that would be the best fixture and most economical the 24" will go into a bigger tank but then you would need to upgrade the bulb to the reptisun 10.0 T 5- at that time- your 5.0 bulb would need to be unobstructed and 6-8 inches directly above the basking decor check your pet stores mist do not carry the 24" fixture you can order it online from FIXTURES

Ginjasnapz

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Dexie
Thank for the reply. So the T5 5.0 wouldn’t be strong enough through my wide hole mesh top? If I need something to sit on top of the cover should I just go with the T5 10.0 right away? There are some high vines in the tank. I am afraid she will escape if the cover is kept off.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Thank for the reply. So the T5 5.0 wouldn’t be strong enough through my wide hole mesh top? If I need something to sit on top of the cover should I just go with the T5 10.0 right away? There are some high vines in the tank. I am afraid she will escape if the cover is kept off.
The 10.0 bulb would work w/ the wide hole mesh its gonna cut some of that strength down I would get the decor piece directly under the UVB about 8 inches

Ginjasnapz

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Dexie
Ok great so the UVB should be shining on her basking area as well with the heat lamp? Does she need UVB throughout the tank or just in that basking area? Thank you so much for all this help. I just want to get it all right for her!!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok great so the UVB should be shining on her basking area as well with the heat lamp? Does she need UVB throughout the tank or just in that basking area? Thank you so much for all this help. I just want to get it all right for her!!
Where ever you have that fixture shining down shes going to get UVB but you want decor directly under it about 8 inches so if you have it next to the basking bulb she will get both - just make sure the decor piece does not get too hot so get a temp on the surface under the heat bulb - 105-110

Ginjasnapz

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Dexie
Where ever you have that fixture shining down shes going to get UVB but you want decor directly under it about 8 inches so if you have it next to the basking bulb she will get both - just make sure the decor piece does not get too hot so get a temp on the surface under the heat bulb - 105-110
yes I have a probe thermometer so i can check the temp of her basking spot

Kinato

They say it's too cover 2/3rds of the tank. Yes you put it on the basking side. So when he's basking he's getting uvb and heat. And he will move fast, will eat and should stay in the heated end to digest his food. When he wants to cool down he'll move to the cool side and sleeps. My girl goes to her cold corner when she wants me to get her out. I have 6ft enclosure and have 2 uvb globes. An average bar and a coil. I have heat in middle and uvb bar towards the right side, coil uvb after the bar still towards the right. And the left side of the heat is an area without uvb. It's what I call her cold corner. Her hide is on the left hand side, near enough to the warm heat so that she's not stone cold. Her choices are the cold corner to get out for cuddles and kisses. The hide she likes the dark And she's not stone cold. Under heat basking. And her hammock in the right corner. Perfect distance from uvb coil. And she loves her hammock. She loves being in a hammock position. Like putting her across my lap. Head on one leg. Butt on the other leg and her body sinks in the middle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylis342
Top Bottom