UVB/HEAT

Status
Not open for further replies.

jroc2015

hello all,
Just trying to figure out if this will do for now, or do i have to change everything around... even though i swear i have tried everything.
my basking spot is located on the right side of tank, & cool side is left. The temperatures are perfect and my lizard is a happy camper.

The only thing is I have a exo terra compact top with 2 150 26watt UVB bulbs and 1 CFL for lighting. The uvb bulbs have worked perfectly for me, so I don't plan on changing to tubes anytime soon. (I've had my lizard for just under a year and no problems). BUT I can't seem to get the UVB very close to the basking spot. although I do notice my lizard spending his time between the UVB "basking area" and his actual basking hot spot. is this okay? or should i try and move my UVB closer to my basking spot. I have a CHE near my uvb but it doesn't obviously get as hot as a basking spot gets too. the UVB is about 12 inches away from his basking spot and 6 inches away from the CHE.

ANY FEEDBACK IS GOOD FEEDBACK.

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
The UVB should be near the basking site. Think about the sun, it's a package deal. Heat is an important part of the process to synthesize D3. UV bulbs also emit UVA wich is useful for color vision in reptiles so having the light sources all near each other helps the dragon see more accurately. Since you have the CHE there it may be ok (I worry about how close it is though).

Part of what makes the tubes better than the compacts is that the light is spread over the length of the bulb. You can make a gradient and ensure the dragon can fit it's whole body into the exposed area. Not that compacts are dangerous like years past but the UVB doesn't reach out very far from the bulb in any direction and overall is a weaker exposure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom