UVB florescent

Status
Not open for further replies.

Signious

Hey guys - I have just bought my first beardie last night (A 2 year old male) in a tank that has 15 in from top of substrate to the top of the tank. The UVB source that came with it is of an unknown brand and I am going to be replacing the bulb tomorrow (the tube is 23 in. long). I have been doing a LOT of reading over that passed 3 months or so getting ready so I don't hurt the animal, and am really happy that he seams to be enjoying things so far (he ate quite a bit this morning - Mealworms with calcium powder, collard greens and some red bell peppers)

The question I have for you guys is: What is the best tube to use to replace my old one? Im hoping to have it remain on the top of the tank (the previous owner did this and he seams happy). If need be I will do a small cut out of the metal screening and make a suspended light, but would rather not. So - is their any good florescent tubes that would fit in the 23in. light that will provide sufficient UVB at 15 in?

Thanks in advanced guys - and if I have said something really, really dumb here that might harm my beardie in any way please, PLEASE yell at me and make sure I get it right :?

Signious

spurlee01

BD.org Addict
Hi and congrats on your new friend!
First, I would discontinue feeding mealworms. They have a hard chitin shell which is difficult to digest. Butterworms, superworms (if the dragon is over 16"), hornworms (my girl's favorite), phoenix worms, and silkworms are the worms I would recommend. All can be bought at http://www.mulberryfarms.com. As for other live feeders, crickets and roaches.
As for the UVB, I have only used the reptisun 10.0. I buy it from petmountain.com. I don't know if there is one that will fit in a 23" fixture. Mine does set on the top of the viv, but it is an 18" and in an 18" fixture. The other problem is that beardies should be able to get within 6-8 inches of this particular light. I had to add a climbing log so that my little girl can get up that high. I know other people use Mercury Vapor Bulbs (MVB) because they can reach farther.
Hope this helps,
Sara

chadwick757

Hatchling Member
If using a fluorescent tube you want the reptiSUN 10.0 mentioned above or Arcadia bulb if in Europe. The beardei must get within 6-8inches of this type of bulb to get any benefit from it. If he has not been able to get this close in the past you will want to consider the MVB option to treat any possible negative effects he is developing. Do a search for details on best brands and what fixtures to use when considering these lights (see minimum distances for MVB).

http://www.feedersinc.com/ this site has a recommended feeder list and shows the nutrition value of all the common feeders(hopefully will be working again soon). Silkworms, Roaches, and phoenix worms are the high nutrient feeders. Horn worms and crickets are medium. I think supers were considered medium. and either butter worms or wax worms possibly both were considered low in nutrition.

Signious

Original Poster
hey - me again:

How much should be be eating? I will upload a picture of him later tonight to give you a reference of size. I have a friend who had a beardie, but she broke up with her boyfriend and he took him :x and she says that this guys is kinda fat. When I fed him thismorning he at about two to three tablespoons worth of the mealworms and vegi mix.

He has been basking most of the day, and from the perch on his log he gets 7" from the head from the UVB, and on the angle he is at his hindquarters are at ground level about 14" from the light ( I adjusted a little) is this OK, or should he be laying flat? (I plan on makeing a basking spot much like this http://www.beautifuldragons.503xtreme.com/Images/Jackieplatform1.jpg ) within the next couple of weeks. He has been basking most of the day occasionally opening his mouth (from what I have read this is to regulate temps) and I am taking this as a sign that the lighting is right. He will occasional go over to the cool side of the tank and perch his front on a rock and look out of the tank towards the wall as if looking for something.

From what I could tell he did not sleep at all last night. We got him and the tank in place around 10PM and he looked around for about half an hour, and then went to the perching point on the cool side (no lights were on at this point). He hasnt drank all day, but I did give him a bath around one-ish, didnt like it much, but he sat in their and I misted him, but could not get him to drink. The skin on his back towards the sides is kind of wrinkly and what I am afraid of is he might be dehidrated.

One more thing, this might be helpful, he is in the middle of a shed.

Thanks for being so helpful guys, looking forward to your responses

Signious

edit (2:48PM)

here is a picture of him on my desk, sorry for poor quality / angle, All I have atm is my webcam on my laptop
WebCam_20090531_13341.jpg

Sj45

I would look into a clamp fixture and a mvb bulb, otherwise a new fixture as I've never really heard of 23" fluorescent lights.

Signious

Original Poster
update, I have talked with owner and begged him to find out what bulb it is, found the receipt and it is a "Repti Glo Exo Terra 8.0 UVB" and it is 24" not 23... from what I have heard this is bad - have I heard correct

spurlee01

BD.org Addict
The repti glo 8.0 is an okay light, but it doesn't have the best UVB emissions (if I understand correctly). The reptiglo 10.0, however, is known to cause major problems with beardies. Bulbs like the reptiglo and reptisun have to be replaced every 6 months. Reptisun 10.0 is the way to go and petmountain.com has the best prices.
Sara

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lunalane827
Top Bottom