uvb exposure

Status
Not open for further replies.

jayce82

Juvie Member
so what exactly would happen if a beardie got too much uvb light? say he's a year old, tank is 18" tall and the t5 is hung underneath and the basking spot is say 12" under the uvb. is that too much? will he regulate by moving to the cool side for a while or go in one of his hides for a bit? I just haven't found much info on this subject

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
Over exposure runs the risk of things like burns, retina or skin damage and possibly metabolic issues if the body can't regulate D3 properly.

Your distance should be fine and within the range dragons would be exposed to in the wild. In captivity we err a bit on the low side for max exposure. As long as you cage has options he will self regulate. Offer an area of less intensity for both heat and UV such as with some shade ornscreening but is still warm. (Think dappled sunlight). Reptiles go in and out of the light/heat regularly in the wild so in captivity constant basking is actually not ideal.

jayce82

Juvie Member
Original Poster
yes he has a hammock on the cool side to provide shade that gets him out direct light. I was just mainly concerned with his basking distance because I know this bulb is strong

jayce82

Juvie Member
Original Poster
also this fixture in using has a reflector on it. should I run the reflector or remove it at that distance?

Wolfeden

Hatchling Member
I would keep the reflector.

As mentioned, as long as your beardie can get farther away than 12" and/or has some shaded areas, your setup sounds pretty ideal IMO.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

The distance sounds good & since there is ample area for her to move around there shouldn't be any issues how it is set up.
I agree, it will be fine to keep the reflector.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lunalane827
Top Bottom