UVB bulb question?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zippo

Hi guys, a few month ago, I bought a reptisun 10 UVB bulb (24") for my exo terra 36x18x12"(lxwxh) from a reptile expo. After using it for a week, the light turned dull and flickered and show some slight burned mark at one end. I figured I bought a lemon and proceeded to put it back in its casing and I bought a new 36" reptisun 10 UVB HO with its own ballast from pet mountain. But this one will be used on a new national geographic 40 gal(36x18x18"). Now, after a month, my uncle took a look into the lemon bulb and found out the my hood was under powered and he changed the ballast and now that lemon bulb is burning bright like it was new. Question, can I trust that bulb is still good? Again, I really appreciate this site and everyone's help and thanks ahead of time!!

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
If the ballast was to blame, then the bulb is probably OK. Is it a T8 or a T5? Is the new one a T5? I recommend using a T5 with a tank that size anyway as it will provide optimal UVB at 10-12'' below the bulb/fixture while a T8 is only effective at about 6-8''.

zippo

Original Poster
CooperDragon":2y53dq9i said:
If the ballast was to blame, then the bulb is probably OK. Is it a T8 or a T5? Is the new one a T5? I recommend using a T5 with a tank that size anyway as it will provide optimal UVB at 10-12'' below the bulb/fixture while a T8 is only effective at about 6-8''.
The 24" is a T8 and the new bulb is a 36" T5HO. And I have two same dimensional tank except that the newest one is a higher 12" vs 18". I have would that would get them pretty close for the T8. I'm not sure how close I should put with the T5HO since its high output and that's why I got the new higher tank!!

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
OK good. Stick with the T5. Put the highest part of the basking point 10'' away if you're going through a screen and about 12'' if not. That's definitely what you want to use in a larger tank for best results.

zippo

Original Poster
CooperDragon":3bo6tob8 said:
OK good. Stick with the T5. Put the highest part of the basking point 10'' away if you're going through a screen and about 12'' if not. That's definitely what you want to use in a larger tank for best results.
Sounds great and thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom